This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Mouse automoving to Windows Start Menu and autoclicks to start some pr

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have what appears to be a virus that frequently and repeatedly moves the mouse to the lower left of the screen and clicks on the Windows Start Menu.  It sometimes starts one of the news or movie applications on the windows start popup menu.  Have tried completely reloading windows (allowing it to remove all my files and programs), removed batteries from mouse and keyboard to make sure it was not a defect or short in those, tried some things I saw online with regard to unchecking mouse precision option, and virus protection software does not seem to detect it.  My reading online seems to indicate the virus may be on the master boot, but I sure would appreciate some help getting rid of this off my computer…it makes it very difficult to get anything done, as when you are trying to type in an application, the mouse moves again and then you are typing in the WIndows Start Search field.  It does not get progressively worse, just the same annoying behavior, but keeps me from being able to use this desktop.  The windows version is up-to-date and am using McAfee security now, but it is unable to find or fix the virus.  I tried another virus posting forum but have been unable to get any help since March 20, so any help would be really appreciated.  Sophie

Hello SofieMiller and welcome to WTT forum.

My name is Satchfan and I would be glad to help you with your computer problem.

Please read the following guidelines which will help to make cleaning your machine easier:

  • please follow all instructions in the order posted
  • please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear
  • all logs/reports, etc. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In Notepad click Format, uncheck Word wrap if it is checked
  • if you don't understand something, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification before proceeding
  • the fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • please reply within 3 days. If you do not reply within this period I will post a reminder but topics with no reply in 4 days will be closed!

IMPORTANT:

Please DO NOT install/uninstall any programs unless asked to.
Please DO NOT run any scans other than those requested

Run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.


  • right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • press Scan button
  • it will produce a log called Frst.txt in the same directory the tool is run from
  • please copy and paste log back here.
  • the first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the Frst.txt into your reply.

Logs to include with next post:

Frst.txt
Addition.txt


Thanks

Satchfan

 

well, I have gone from the frying pan into the fire…. I reloaded Windows back in March trying to solve this problem.  I just tried to log in to the desktop (Toshiba DX1215-D2101) and have forgotten the password…. now trying to figure out how to reset my password (I didn't create a password recovery disk).  I will need to figure out either how to reset the password or how to reload windows again without having my windows password.  Looked at www.LostWindowsPassword.com software, but seems to be a scam according to the reviews….sign…Sophie

ok, found out how to reload windows 10 again, am doing that now, which is the exact same thing I did in march to try and remove the virus.  I am in the process of reloading windows.  I know the virus will still be present, as I have done these steps before.  So, that will take several hours, then I'll perform the steps you requested and will reply with the logs.  Thanks for your patience while I get this done and will get back with you just as soon as I can.  Sophie

Satchfan - Ok, I reloaded windows and updated to current Windows 10 Home Edition, so at least now I can log into the desktop (had forgot my password).  Virus still present and behaving the same.  I did not load McAfee virus scan.  It seems that Windows Defender did automatically load.  Ran the FARBAR scan and files are attached.  Will be glad to make a donation to WhatTheTech for your assistance with getting rid of this annoying virus.  The Virus to my knowledge has not caused any serious harm to the desktop, just very annoying and makes the machine almost impossible to use since the mouse is moving and clicking on the windows start search field all the time.  Thanks and just let me know the next step.  Sophie

Thanks for the logs.

 

I have looked at them both and, as I thought, this is not malware-related but a Windows issue. It is not a serious issue but one that I'm not not qualified to answer in this forum. Sorry not to be able to solve this for you but at least you can be assured that your computer is clean.

 

I suggest you start a topic in our Windows forum where someone should be able to help you resolve this quite easily.

 

Regards

 

Satchfan

Satchfan - thanks for your feedback.  I will post to the Windows forum.  Really thought it was a virus since I reloaded windows, tried disconnecting the mouse, and tried many other steps to fix or isolate the issue based on internet searches.  Thanks, Sophie

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI