and in some cases have to restart the computer as the mouse stops working completely. The issue happens randomly and it is happening only for certain programs. I have seen this with Microsoft Word [no browser or internet connection], Internet Explorer or Firefox.
The behavior for the computer is that intermittently it starts some automated behavior - windows close, new windows appear, some right click context menus are seen and a new windows explorer opens to the Start Menu folder at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu". Had scanned thoroughly for malware removal but no malware was identified and link for the same topic is given below.
I have actually verified that it is not a keyboard issue by using the laptop directly as well as with an external keyboard. And all times - it is almost the same behavior and it goes on for almost 30 secs for which the computer goes berserk. None of the tools has identified any problem but I am positive there is some issue - because of the ongoing behavior. One issue I feel is that there are around 10 instances of svchost.exe - and previously i did not see so many instances of it running. Can we find out what programs are they running for - perhaps that would lead to the issue. Just a thought. Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Machine: LAPTOP
BRAND: DELL Inspiron 600 m
OS: Windows XP - with all the latest patches
As many as 20 to 30 processes may be running invisibly, silently in the background on your PC. Some hog system resources, drastically slowing down your computer. Others are a threat to security and privacy. A few may be harmless.
The Windows Task Manager displays most of these processes but you have no information to learn and understand what is what.
Get the latest definitions and exhaustive advice on all the processes running on directly in the Windows Task Manager by downloading the QuickLink InfoBar from ProcessLibrary.com.
Read on about what it does and how to access the information given on the website I have posted before doing anything.
Have you tried a system restore to a date before the problem occurred?
Hello Tallin,
Thanks for your response. I had cleaned up my system some time back and had done a complete reformat. So since I started having this issue - I did not have a restore point. The restore point was just created a couple of days back as per the earlier post. However I am consistently having this issue and it is not going away.
Please help.
Thanks