This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Mouse automoves to Windows Start Search field and click starts random

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Toshiba DX1215-D2101 with Windows 10 Home Version 1607 (X64).

 

I had posted this issue to the Virus Forum, but the tech adviser Satchfan said this behavior appears to be a Windows issue, so I am posting it here.

 

The behavior is that the mouse pointer moves by itself to the Window Start/Search field and once it clicks it, it opens up the search/tiles pop-up, then sometimes clicks on random programs or ads, such as starting one of the programs, such as a weather report or a video game advertisement.  This happens very frequently (about every 2 to 10 seconds) and is very consistent..  

 

I have tried reloading windows completely with the "remove all my files" option, tried various virus scans (the scans that Satchfan had me do are attached), adjusted the mouse sensitivity, and removed the battery from the wireless mouse to see if that would help.  Nothing seems to help or hurt the behavior.  The behavior of the mouse does not seem to cause any other troubles than this, but the mouse moving and clicking on the windows start/search makes the computer virtually impossible to use.

 

Any ideas?  I would really appreciate any help.  Sophie

Ok, I uninstalled the wireless mouse and installed a USB-wired mouse.  The wired mouse works fine, but the automatic moving of the mouse behavior is still happening just as before with no change.  Let me know what other steps I can take and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Just for clarification, this is desktop has a built-in wireless keyboard and wireless mouse that are Toshiba brand and came with the unit.  I have uninstalled the wireless mouse device and turned off the wireless mouse and now just am using the USB-wired mouse and the same automove behavior is present where the cursor auto-moves and clicks on the windows start/search.

Run msinfo32 from a Run box or Command Prompt. Save the result (File, Save). Zip the resulting .nfo file and upload here.

 

I want to see what tasks are running on your computer.

I attached the msinfo32.zip file on May 22, but have not heard anything back.  Some additional info:  when the mouse arrow disappears and the start/search box opens up automatically, I don't actually see the mouse move to the start/search box, it just disappears and the start/search box opens.  To do some additional testing, I did check the operation of the "start" button on the wireless keyboard and it appears to work w/o sticking.  Also, I turned the switch on the wireless keyboard to "off" to make sure the described behavior was not a short or defect in the wireless keyboard.  When you just have the desktop open (or whatever open), about every 1 to 10 seconds, the mouse arrow will disappear and the start/search box will open.  Then it will close, and you can move the mouse and try to work in an application or browser, then the mouse arrow will disappear and the start/search box will open again.  Sometimes one of the start tile windows will automatically be opened by this weird behavior as well….I attached a picture, this is what the desktop looked like after I started the computer and just had the desktop open for 10 minutes (see the start/search opened and other various windows).  I had this issue posted in the virus forum, but they said it was not a virus and more likely a windows issue, which is why I posted it to this forum, but I am not convinced that it is not a virus.  Any help would be appreciated.  The desktop is not usable since this issue started happening.  Sophie

Rich - no problem at all and I appreciate your reply.  I did disable the Windows Search and restarted, but the errant behavior is still occurring unfortunately.  Any other ideas?  Any way it could be a virus?  This behavior was not always there, just started all of a sudden.  Anyway, any feedback/ideas are appreciated and I appreciate the time spent to try and help me.  Sophie

Hi SofieMiller, I do hope Rich will forgive me for dropping in on your topic…

 

There are a number of thoughts that occur to me, but first of all condolences on the erratic behaviour of your computer, it must make everything so very difficult for you.

 

Here are some thoughts for you ( in no particular order)

 

1 If you have reinstalled Windows on a number of occasions and the same fault persists then it might be wise to see if you can get back to a version of Windows that actually works (without the problems)….these machines, according to my data sheets usually shipped with either Win 7 or Win 8…… have you tried going back to one or both of these earlier versions?  if by chance your machine shipped with Win 10 64 bit then don't proceed with an earlier version but have a look at 2

 

2 I have not checked to see if drivers are available from Toshiba on Win10 64 bit, have you tried updating them (starting with chipset, moving on to Video, then audio etc.?…….are Win 10 drivers actually available for your machine? Check in Device Manager to see if there are any yellow or red markers against any of your hardware…

 

3 To try and home in on likely culprits for the strange actions have you tried booting into safe mode and seeing if the problem is resolved?

 

4 To rule out hardware issues, try downloading a live distro of Linux, ( Linux Puppy is good) burn the .iso as an image to a CD ( it must be as an image, a plain copy will not work). Boot into Puppy ( you may need to check your BIOS/UEFI to enable this…disable secure boot etc, set optical drive as priority one boot drive etc…… if you still get the same strange behaviour when using Puppy then its pointing towards a hardware error.

 

5 Lastly, if Satchfan has taken a peek inside your machine and has not found any virus or malicious code, then I would be very happy to say that this is not a virus problem (or wasn't a virus problem at the time she investigated!)

 

I hope these random thoughts will help…. post back and tell us as much as possible as to exactly what you have found on dealing with points 1 to 5 above.

Regards

paws

Paws - Will get on all these ideas, may take me a couple days to try them all.  I really appreciate your time & suggestions and will reply with the results.  Sophie

I am working on the suggested items….didn't work on them during holiday weekend, but will this week.  Just wanted to make sure my post stayed open while I am working on this.  Sophie

regarding suggestion #1 going back to an earlier version of windows, when I did reload windows (did this twice) and it goes back to the original OS, which I think was Windows 7, the "start/search" autoclick behavior immediately occurs, when when I apply windows updates, it updates to Windows 10 Home Edition and the errant behavior still exists.  So, yes, the "start/search autoclick" behavior still occurs even initially when windows is updated to the factory installed version, which I believe was Windows 7 and still exists when the OS updates to Windows 10 Home Edition.

 

Working on the drivers now.  But a little confused as when I go to the Toshiba drivers site and look up my model (Toshiba DX1215-D2101 all-in-one), it does not list Windows 10 as one of the options for this model…it just lists Windows 7, 8, Vista, and XP.  I did install the Intel Driver Update Utility, but it mentions that these drivers are generic for windows 10 and may not have manufacturer customization's.  Is there another place I can find Toshiba drivers for Windows 10 Home Edition for this model of computer or should I just use the generic Intel drivers. 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI