This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

win.old and win upgrade folders 4-16-17

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I found these two folders under Windows in the file explorer.
Should they be removed?
I ran cleanup system files and removed all the old windows upgrade items.
I have images in external hard drives of my current creator OS update.

Rich

win.old had tons of files - I think it was from an older upgrade because I ran the cleanup for system files and it never caught it. It did cleanup Creator.

 

The Windows 10Upgrade folder is not spelled correctly. I should have reported more carefully. That is basically what it said but not verbatim. It has a lot of files.

 

There is also a C:>Sandbox file that is loaded but it is NVidea so I left it alone.

 

I have good images of all so I did  remove the first two and all seems OK.

 

Incidentally, Defender seemed not to work; the update left the old icon in the task bar and I finally got defender to work by removing the icon in that systray and moving it from all apps to the task bar.

 

Thanks for the reply ad I hope mine made sense.

Peter

Yeah, defender is now Windows Defender Security Center and it's a Settings menu. It has a white shield in the System tray when active with a green check if all is well, orange or red if problems.

 

I just noticed the Windows defender context menu registry hack no longer works either so I removed it.

I just noticed the Windows defender context menu registry hack no longer works either so I removed it.

 
 
I never noticed this; I better check it out. This when you want to scan a  file for security and it performs a scan on just that file, right. I know MBAM does it so I will see about Windows Defender Security Center.

No, the Scan with Windows Defender is still there. I was using a registry hack to add access to Windows Defender itself via the right click context menu. That's what no longer works and so I removed it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI