This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

unremoved Folders

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello The above folder has a lot of Norton information like download manager, system info, and more. Should I just leave it alone or is there a safe way to rid the pc of this? I ran the uninstall tool? Win 7 home, i5, 1T, MSE, MBAM, secunia, router After removing Norton's Security Suite 2010 I found a folder in C:/users/public/public downloads. It contains a string of digits which I have in the attachment. There are two of them one ends in v4 and the other in v5. When you open either you find information like download manager, system information etc Can I delete these folders safely? Thank you Peter

Yes, absolutely. Mine is empty. It's just a download storage area.

I believe CCleaner empties it but I'm not certain of that.



Thank you once again; I think I am finally transitioned out of Norton and running ok. Whew!
Peter
I was looking through Windows Explorer and found two folders that relate to two programs I recently removed. They were in C:>users>Public Documnts. They were called Dell music and Dell Stage which are the names of the removed programs. I renamed them with a 2 following their names. I plan on waiting a week and if no trouble, to remove them. I am asking if this is the right thing to do?
That is a good way to handle things like this. No damage but see what happens. I have good backups (as do you) so I would just delete them and see what happens. I can always restore from my backup if needed.

That is a good way to handle things like this. No damage but see what happens.

I have good backups (as do you) so I would just delete them and see what happens. I can always restore from my backup if needed.




You taught me to do that - remember?
OK, Acronis has not failed me yet?. I have a couple more to do but I'll be careful. It is amazing how many folders are left over when you really clean house of unwanted programs. The pc is running more brisk since I removed the extra programs though. Unlike the folder in C:>users >public>documents>Dell which has two semingly empty folders which I have renamed for awhile, There is a folder under program filesx86>Dell>Dell Stage(the program I removed) and it is full of entries. Please see the attachment. It calls itself Stage remote which is a remarkable coincidence with Dell Stage. I should not do anything with that one correct?
You might want to look at using Revo Uninstaller. It does a very good job of cleaning up leftover registry data and folders/files.

I use it a lot at the shop to cleanup computers over5loaded with crapware (that is a lovely, descriptive term) and have used it at home too.

Unless you disable it, the first thing Revo does is create a System Restore point. You have to be careful when using it not to let the system reboot after doing the primary uninstall as it needs to do it's post uninstall cleanup first. Once that's done, then you can reboot if necessary.

You might want to look at using Revo Uninstaller. It does a very good job of cleaning up leftover registry data and folders/files.

I use it a lot at the shop to cleanup computers over5loaded with crapware (that is a lovely, descriptive term) and have used it at home too.

Unless you disable it, the first thing Revo does is create a System Restore point. You have to be careful when using it not to let the system reboot after doing the primary uninstall as it needs to do it's post uninstall cleanup first. Once that's done, then you can reboot if necessary.



I did use Revo uninstaller when I removed the progrrams .
I used the safe choice not the default one -that was probably my eror. Now that the programs are gone it is too late unless I reinistall them again I guess as they are no longer visible in Revo.. Safe is probably like add/remove.
Hi Peter,

Revo Uninstaller is not a registry 'cleaner' per se.
Revo selectively removes only those reg. entries (highlighted in bold type) installed by the program being removed.
Lets call it a program uninstaller with selective registry entry removal attributes.

It's the best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned :thumbup:

Good to see you have removed Nortons 'crapware' (imho). :lol:

Cheers,
Lee

Hi Peter,

Revo Uninstaller is not a registry 'cleaner' per se.
Revo selectively removes only those reg. entries (highlighted in bold type) installed by the program being removed.
Lets call it a program uninstaller with selective registry entry removal attributes.

It's the best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned :thumbup:

Good to see you have removed Nortons 'crapware' (imho). :lol:

Cheers,
Lee



>>Yes Lee, I am glad to be rid of Norton. I was telling Rich my error was to remove programs not in the default mode but in the safe mode and that is why I have these left over files and folders here and there. I could reinstall and uninstall them but no real problem.
I have used revo for years and just pick up the habit of using "safe" out of fearof removing the wrong file -even though there is a restore point.
I am better off now than before and that's what counts.
Peter
I thouught you would like to know my remodeling ended up with yellow exclamation marks next to remobable media with something about cannot be used and a possible corruption issue with the registry.
I always used the more most aggressive Advanced mode. I've used it literally thousands of times and have never had it cause a problem and it always does a better job of cleanup than the uninstaller for the program itself. The real problem is lazy or incompetent programmers writing the uninstaller. All the time and money goes into the program and the removal and cleanup is an afterthought. I also turn of the Create a System Restore point option in Options / Uninstaller. I don't need more SR points as I already have a good backup as well as ERUNT backup of the registry.

I always used the more most aggressive Advanced mode. I've used it literally thousands of times and have never had it cause a problem and it always does a better job of cleanup than the uninstaller for the program itself.

The real problem is lazy or incompetent programmers writing the uninstaller. All the time and money goes into the program and the removal and cleanup is an afterthought.

I also turn of the Create a System Restore point option in Options / Uninstaller. I don't need more SR points as I already have a good backup as well as ERUNT backup of the registry.



Any suggestions about the three exlamation points as mentioned in my previous post?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI