This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot update graphics drivers Windows 10

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an HP Envy TS 15 Notebook. It has 2 graphics cards: one Intel HD Graphics 4600, and an Nvidia GE Force card, but that card has disappeared. The machine was shipped with Windows 8.1 which I updated to Windows 10 well over a year ago. It has only been with a recent graphics software upgrade did I realize that I was missing the Nvidia card, because I was experiencing significant hang.

 

In looking at the HP forum, looking for updates to the drivers, I have found that there are potentially significant problems updating to Windows 10, and that a fair amount of hardware may no longer function after the update.

 

In particular:

Intel Graphics HD driver update from HP won't install "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer." This was from the driver downloaded from the HP site. Installer was an Intel installer I noted.

 

Nvidia driver update won't install "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." I'm looking at the little Nvidia sticker next to my keyboard on the machine, and i do remember paying for it. Specs indicate it is in the machine.

 

The manufacturers indicate that I should only use the drivers from HP, since they are specific to the config of my machine.

 

I don't relish the idea of trying to revert to the original operating system, but if that is what i have to do…

 

I would be grateful for any assistance. I should still have another 9 months before the 3 year mark on this machine - much too early for it to be ewaste.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI