This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 10 Windows Update not working

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When I got a new laptop with Windows 10 Home 64bit I didn't like some of the automatic updates it was doing (for example it would install a universal print driver for my Samsung printer that made printing super dark and I'd have to reinstall old driver all the time, and a few other things I can't really remember now).

 

I followed some sites' instructions to disable automatic updates and figured I'd just do it on my own when I wanted to.

 

I went into Windows Update the other day and it just hung on "downloading updates 0%".  I checked the history and the last attempts to update were back in January and all failed.

 

I went in and changed some settings back to normal like "metered connection OFF".  I also went into Services and changed Windows Update Properties to "Automatic" and left it on for a few days and nothing updated.  I also tried "Manual"  but it still said "Updates Available" but hung at "Downloading Updates 0%"

 

I may have done some other steps to disable elsewhere in Windows but I can't remember at this time.  I don't remember if I made any registry changes.   :scratch:  :scratch:  :scratch:

 

Will someone please let me know if there are other areas to check or edit to try and get these updates going again.  Thanks all!

Hi esswun, Have you tried the all in one repair tool from tweaking.com  ?
 
Here's the link:
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

 

Please read all the instructions and be sure to back up the registry, and perform a power reset before you start, and its best to run it in safe mode with networking.

 

Let us know if this does the trick for you

Regards

paws 

This is weird…the day after reading your reply I went in once more and updates started rolling in.   I don't know why they didn't start immediately after putting things back to default settings but it took a few days and then they did.  There's a lot to update and it looks like they are going in consecutive order so it's been a couple days and they keep coming.  If it happens again I'll look into that tool.  Thanks for the help!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI