Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

hello...

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:31 PM

i've been here before a long time ago and am now back and very perplexed and needing help with updates in windows 10. i don't think my lenovo 330 here has had an update since jan. i have been to safer networking and am free of malware, i've been to microsoft and done everything under the sun they recommended. in trying to run updates they had me run troubleshooters and all and concluded my powershell or command prompt had malfunctioned and i'd need to do a fresh install of win10. i tried their media creation tool first which started fine then stalled at 1%. after about 15 minutes i hit cancel. that litte ring stopped and my pc would do nothing. on the second reboot i tried it started up. i know i was lucky as i don't know how to wake one that's froze up. they suggested another way i don't remember and it failed. they then suggested i do a reset from settings which i tried and it also failed. can someone please help?

• ncdoloaa likes this

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:43 PM

The first thing you need to do is backup your current install. The best way to do this is to use Macrium Reflect Free to make an image backup to an external hard drive. If you don't have an external hard drive now is a good time to get one as regular backup should be a part of your normal process. You can get a 1TB external hard drive for $60 (less if on sale).

Once you have that your data is safe, then you can do a Clean Install of Windows 10.

Follow this tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10
You will need to create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB that supports both UEFI mode (recommended) and Legacy BIOS (CSM) mode. Link is in the above tutorial.

A Clean Install means you will delete all partitions on your boot drive and install to a blank, unallocated drive so that the Windows 10 installer can create the partitions it wants during the install process.

Once it completes do an immediate Windows Update as there are additional updates you will need.

Then restore your data from the Macrium backup by mounting the Macrium backup image and browsing it using File Explorer then copy the data you want from the backup to your hard drive.Sounds complicated but it's really not. Ask if you have any questions or concerns. One of us will answer. I will if I can but I'm not always around.

Edited by Ztruker, 13 March 2020 - 11:43 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 12:21 PM

hello ztruker, thanks for that info but as i suspected i was in over my head as i know nothing at all about how to do what you suggest here. thanks for helping i guess i'll have to take it in somewhere. 

#4 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

well before i chicken out let me look further into your instructions here. i d';oaded the macrium which is backing up on my seagate exhd. now reading tutorial in your link.

#5 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

at the link of the tutorial it lists 4 options for installing, of the 4 which would you consider to be the easiest to understand for a beginner who never has done it? also will a 32 GB memory card work in place of the usb?

Edited by rb56, 14 March 2020 - 01:17 PM.

#6 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:26 PM

grrrrrrrrrrrr....this is what i mean, macrium is running all is going well and hello! i get a prompt that the backup failed. backup aborted, write operation failed the system cannot find the file specified. the joy of it is the window says progress: 100%. so now do i check seagate for a macrium file and see the last save on it to determine if any backup was made?

EDIT: looking at my exhd there is no files of any backup, none. so do i try backup again?

Edited by rb56, 14 March 2020 - 01:31 PM.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

How much free space is there on the Seagate external hard drive?

Create a folder on it called Macrium Backups. Do another backup and place it in the Macrium Backups folder.

The name of the backup files is going to be something like 8B27AAF7F70EDCAE-00-00.mrimg. The part I highlighted will be different but the rest should be the same for your first full backup.

Are you sure the Seagate external drive is good?

You want to follow step 14. A.

Edited by Ztruker, 14 March 2020 - 01:51 PM.

Rich

#8 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:01 PM

i ran backup again and now seagate contains macrium backup. now what do i do?

EDIT: correct on the file name, different number but ends in mrimg. step 14A? in??? the macrium program?

Edited by rb56, 14 March 2020 - 02:09 PM.

#9 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:12 PM

seagate has 390 GB  available

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:28 PM

Good, Seagate has lots of room.

14A was the step I  wanted you to use in the Clean install tutorial.

You said

at the link of the tutorial it lists 4 options for installing, of the 4 which would you consider to be the easiest to understand for a beginner who never has done it?

I'm not seeing the 4 options you mention. Are you sure your in the tutorial I gave the link for: Clean Install Windows 10

Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:35 PM

ok sorry i had to do some stuff,  i don't know where it came from but it was this i spoke of. https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

#12 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:39 PM

so you want me to proceed with 14 how to select drive to install...? how do i know if my pc supports UEFI 2.0?

#13 rb56

rb56

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

just asking but i'm getting lost before i get going and what about 1-13? and the windows it shows in those steps i know nothing about. am i missing something?

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:10 PM

ok sorry i had to do some stuff,  i don't know where it came from but it was this i spoke of. https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

That's the link pointed to from the Windows 10 Clean Install link that tells you how to create a Windows 10 install flsah drive, the link you just posted. Take Option 1.

How to Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 from

Rich

#15 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

so you want me to proceed with 14 how to select drive to install...? how do i know if my pc supports UEFI 2.0?

What is the full model number of Lenovo IdeaPad 330 laptop. There are many sub models, here are some I found on th4e Lenovo support site:

WTT#5.jpg

Edited by Ztruker, 14 March 2020 - 10:17 PM.

Rich