I have often wanted a program that will remove an installed program not listed in its search. I found Wise Uninstaller to do this and effectively. I remember 4 programs I had wanted to cleanly remove but either Revo or another did not find or I forgot to cleanly uninstall it.
I am writing this hoping my selection was a good one.
Peter,
I have only just seen your post, so sorry for the delay in responding.
Your question is a very interesting one and there is much debate on the merits and demerits of various uninstallers (some of the debate is useful and well informed, but also it has to be said that some is also based on misunderstandings) so as always, its important to read with discrimination, and compare what is being said with your own knowledge, and other sources that are well respected and of good repute.
My own thoughts are that:
1 in a well set up system free of faults, the basic uninstaller included within Windows, when used correctly, does a satisfactory job in a lot of circumstances, however it can and does leave some "leftovers" but generally these can often be ignored as they normally do not create significant problems.
2 If you are finding applications that are not listed in your "add or remove Programs list" then this is indicative of problems within the operating system, a bad download perhaps or an incomplete install or uninstall, or maybe an application that the developer does not want you to uninstall… or who cannot be bothered with writing an uninstaller!
3 To avoid these sort of problems, some folks sometimes forget to make sure that when running the uninstall utility within Windows:
the application to be uninstalled is closed with no elements running
an administrator account is used
all other open programs are best closed.
it is sometimes necessary to reinstall the program concerned, before running the uninstaller
remember to perform a complete restart (not a sleep/hibernate) immediately after the uninstall (failure to do this often leads to a fail or the sort of problems you mention.)
4 If these steps result in an incomplete uninstall then its worthwhile running Revo (the free version is fine, but do remember the reinstall mentioned above)
5 If still no joy and when there is no reference to the application/program concerned in your "add or remove listing" then Revo
can be run in Hunter" mode.
6 If you still have no success then its indicating that further remedial work on the operating system or applications/programs may be needed
I have not used the Wise uninstaller as the above steps have always worked OK for me, however as always if using powerful tools do remember to back up your Registry and create a system restore point and implement all of the above points, before you start.
You know me and hunt and peck typing so here goes;
I use Revo and Wise but I forgot to reboot after using them. I read your very thorough post and thank you for the useful information. Reboot, Reboot for many things. I like the option in Wise to type a program you do not see listed and it will find it and remove it. It crests a restore point also.
There are times when I remember I had removed a program or partially and needed to get it back. Reinstalling does not always put it in the same folder, as you know.
It's odd that I downloaded the free Revo but it continues to act like the Pro version. It is odd but good.