This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Revo

23 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just learned Revo works with 32 byte but I need an uninstaller that works with both 32 and 64 byte. I got some bad words about IOBIT and my uninstaller seems to do what add/remove does. Is there one out there you can depend upon that thoroughly cleans up during an uninstall.? Thank you Peter
Do you really need a separate uninstaller? Generally, the Control Panel applet, especially with later versions of Windows works quite well, and if any remnants do remain, they generally are not hard to clean up. If I really need something removed, I look for an uninstaller made for that product. Like JavaRA from Java and Adobe Flash remover for that.
I don't really know if I do need one as I always used Revo thinking it was cleaning up leftovers - usually it did, and in many cases a lot of them.. I do,however, understand your logic in going to the uninstaller for the specific program. Have some thinking to do.
Besides that 32 bit programs will work in a 74 bit OS normally and if not you can always right click on the exe file and tell it to run in compatibility mode. Checking Revo's site the paid version is compatible in 64 bit OS so that may be some food for thought also.
Well, I have boiled the search down to; 1-Geekuninstaller-which handlkes both 32 and 64 bit 2-Advanced uninstaller pro- reads the same 3-I found this intersting article but do not know if it is advisable. I would not mind the extra work if were worth it; Open Start>run>cmd. Enter "cd %programfiles%" and press enter. Type "dir /p" without quotes. You will see the list of all your programs now. To delete-uninstall CCleaner type rd /s "CCleaner" and press "Y". This will permanently delete this program so be sure you know this is what you want. You can delete any program using this method just replace the name with what you want to delete. Read also how to uninstall programs using command prompt.
I do not advise doing that. Those are just [very] old DOS commands. And the D in DOS stands for "disk", not "Windows Registry". This does NOT "uninstall" programs. It deletes the files/folder without touching the Registry so Windows will think the programs are still "installed". RD stands for Remove Directory and the /s switch is to remove all files and subfolders underneath. This is all Windows Explorer does when you "drill down" through that to do "file manager" stuff. You can easily see this by opening a command prompt and enter: rd /? to see the options/switches.

I do not advise doing that. Those are just [very] old DOS commands. And the D in DOS stands for "disk", not "Windows Registry". This does NOT "uninstall" programs. It deletes the files/folder without touching the Registry so Windows will think the programs are still "installed".

RD stands for Remove Directory and the /s switch is to remove all files and subfolders underneath. This is all Windows Explorer does when you "drill down" through that to do "file manager" stuff. You can easily see this by opening a command prompt and enter: rd /? to see the options/switches.



>>Great to get an informed opinion. Thank you

Well, I have boiled the search down to;

1-Geekuninstaller-which handlkes both 32 and 64 bit

2-Advanced uninstaller pro- reads the same

3-I found this intersting article but do not know if it is advisable. I would not mind the extra work if were worth it;


Here is another one which I use a lot on client PCs as it does not need to be installed. Works just like revo but simpler and perhaps even better.

IObit Uninstaller 2 (freeware).

Well, I have boiled the search down to;

1-Geekuninstaller-which handles both 32 and 64 bit

2-Advanced uninstaller pro- reads the same

3-I found this interesting article but do not know if it is advisable. I would not mind the extra work if were worth it;


Here is another one which I use a lot on client PCs as it does not need to be installed. Works just like revo but simpler and perhaps even better.

IObit Uninstaller 2 (freeware).



>>Once I mentioned IOBIT in a forum and almost lost my head at the shoulders. Apparently some time ago, this Chinese company had some malware in the malwarebytes program or something like that. When I mentioned the company, naivily, I got some flak.
I have used it and I too found it to do a good job.
I have put two uninstall apps aside, Geek and IOBIT in that order.
Time will tell if I have done the right thing.
Nothing to be wary of with IOBIT 2. The latest version (2) is a really good one. I even use it on my own PC now and is recommend from Major Geeks. It even shows up empty program folders left behind by Revo in it's program un-install list. I also like it's recently in-stalled and seldom used program tabs and all have size / date installed next to everything.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI