Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Laptop keyboard typing bound letters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Abet

Abet

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:17 PM

My HP Envy Laptop's keyboard just started acting up this week. I have tried the few fixed that I found online and none of them fixed the issue. When I type the letter a and d the keyboard produces ad, when I type 1 it produces 13, e produces we, q produces we. Also the right shift key isn't functional along with whenever I hit the caps lock key it opens up edge browser. I am using a external keyboard to type without the issues. One other thing I noticed was when I use ctrl+a shortcut it pops up to my face bar when browser is open. Any help would be appreciated.

I have tried the following:
Cleaning the keyboard in case there were dust under it, uninstalled the keyboard drivers and rebooted , checked to see if stocky keys were activated and the keys work fine with the on-screen keyboard. I am out of ideas so only thing left I can think of is to.replace the keyboard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Abet, 21 April 2020 - 06:21 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:13 AM

Hi Abet, The fact that your Hp computer works Ok with both its "onscreen" keyboard and also an external keyboard indicates that the likely cause may be with the integrated keyboard hardware itself.

Before buying a replacement keyboard it would be wise to remove the faulty keyboard for a close and thorough examination (using low power magnification if necessary) and looking particularly for signs of corosion or liquid ingress and paying attention to the connecting cables for signs of damage.

When replacing the original keyboard make sure that the ribbon connectors are correctly engaged and that the latches  that secure them) are fully in the locked position.

Naturally ensure that before you do any work at all, that the laptop is disconnected from the electrical supply and that the battery is removed and that you have discharged the capacitors. Take all the usual necessary Electrostatic  Discharge (ESD) precautions.

If these steps don't provide a solution then it looks like a new keyboard will be needed.(fortunately they are relatively inexpensive) and only take a few minutes to fit.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Abet

Abet

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:23 AM

Thank you for your response  paws. I will  try to do what you suggested and if that  fails then a  new keyboard  is most likely needed. Appreciate you taking the time to help and give such a detailed  explanation. :)