This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Bios not detecting p/s2 keyboard

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,
I am stuck with a strange issue. P/s2 keyboard & mouse was not working. So I was using USB keyboard. However I could not get into bios without p/s2 keyboard. I came to know that it shall work if the cmos battery was removed for 20 mints. I did that but I am getting "check sum error, defaults loaded". Usually this happens if CMOS battery is weak. I changed that also. Now the system will not boot, I cannot access bios since ps2 keyboard is not recognised, USB keyboard does not work under bios boot. Any ideas how I could get into bios ?

 

I believe that usb keyboard should work. in bios.

just for info.

 

depends on what is meant by bios. personally i sometimes still call uefi a bios which i shouldn't really because they are not the same thing even though they do they same job before the os gets loaded.

 

with newer motherboards that all use uefi then yes usb keyboard will/should work without any hassles.

 

with a bios though on older motherboards then it's a case of hit or miss, some will work with a usb keyboard by default, some you first need a ps2 keyboard to go into bios and set it so a usb keyboard will work, and on others then only a ps2 keyboard will work.

 

sorry can't help with the topic because i know of no way to get around the problem of getting into the bios if neither ps2 or usb keyboards will work.

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI