BobDylan
Topic Starter
Have an old Dell Dimension2400 that I'm trying to save. Had been working fine until recently when it started beeping during POST.This is complicated by the PS/2 keyboard plug not working all of a sudden either. There are about three things that will happen when the PC starts:
1) It begins POSTing, then the bar stops about 2 inches across, then it starts a constant high pitch beep and needs to be powered down. There's no beep code - just a constant beep.
2) During POST the bar goes almost all the way across, while it is beeping steadily, and if you tap F2 (or Delete) it will go into BIOS, or F12 gets into system setup. Then the problem is that the PS/2 keyboard does not work so I can't select anything to change settings, as after a weekend of Googling this, it seems that the USB keyboard is not recognized during POST unless the Legacy Keyboard option is changed in the BIOS - so I think I've got to figure out how to do this without a keyboard.
3.) The last thing it will do is boot normally! - but not until after the beeps, many restarts, and key tapping, and sometimes moving the USB keyboard input in and out of the back input a few times.
I do have everything backed up on my HPSimple Save thing, but I'd like to keep this computer going for the kids. It seems like it's just a matter of getting a setting changed so that I can get the USB keyboard recognized and hopefully that would stop the beeps and hang-ups. At times, there are also screens that come up saying 'Keyboard seek failure' ,'Diskette seek failure'or '0000006' error. I've tried re-seating the 2 RAMs and video card a few times, and removing the CMOS battery, and I don't see any CMOS jumpers to play with to try to reset things, so I'm kind of stuck now. I can leave it turned on, but I'd prefer not to, and anyway if it restarts after doing an update it will usually get stuck in option #1 above.
So, I'm wondering if the PS/2 input is shot or if there's anyway to turn it back on, or if something else may have caused this - I don't think I did anything to it prior to the problems, the only thing I could think of is that my daughter may have left her Sansa Fuze adapter plugged into a back USB port overnight, but not sure if that would do anything. So, please let me know what you think or if you need anymore info - and sorry for the lengthy post.