Suddenly when I start my Asus computer my batter shows as plugged in but not charging. I had a similar problem I did an update and I found that if I started the computer with all usb's unplugged it worked. Now it seems like nothing I try works. I have started with no usbs and with the battery unplugged. I also removed the battery and reset it to make sure it was making contact..
Battery won't charge
3 min read
How old is the computer/ battery? They don't last forever you know. Some manufactures say the time it takes for lithium-ion batteries to lose 80 percent capacity is one to two years. Others rate them by cycles and a cycle is consumed each time a laptop battery is charged or discharged and after 300 cycles the battery will lose 80 percent capacity. There is no way to know for sure how long the battery can last, there are ways to sometimes extend the life expectancy but after two years chances become greater that the battery will near the end of it's life and once it can no longer be recharged then it is dead, absolutely cannot be revived and does need replacing. They must be replaced with a brand new battery, not used of course.
You need to get an exact replacement for the battery, not all are the same. Look by computer brand name, the mfgr web site usually will offer them though price may be higher. Amazon is a good place to get them and prices are generally cheaper too.
May not be the battery, could be the charging circuit on the system board. I've had several of these recently.
Also, have you checked the power adapter to make sure it's putting out the correct voltage, usually 19 volts or so.
If you get a replacement battery, make sure you can return it if it's not the problem. As notnats said, Amazon is good for this, their return policy is excellent.
The computer is almost 5 years old. The battery maybe about a year and half. It shows the battery is 97 % charged, so it's not dead, and the computer is plugged in so I don't think it's the cord. The last time I replaced the battery I had a problem with it not holding a charge. This is the first time it has registered as not charging. I just don't think it's a problem with the battery (but I could be wrong). When I did a windows update I had this problem and found a fix to unplug everything in the usb's and restart and that worked. Well that doesn't work anymore.
Remove the battery entirely. Then plug in the laptop and see if it works as it should. If it does then the problem probably is the battery.
Non-charging can also be the result of a laptop that is too hot. Not uncommon with older computers like yours. If the laptop is getting too hot it can shut down completely or cause the battery sensors to read incorrectly. Check your cords and be sure there is no break or kink in them. Be sure they attach to the computer solidly, no wiggles, etc.
Check all of your Power Option settings and check for incorrect settings for the battery, display, and sleep options.
Also check to be sure that drivers are up to date. Go to Device Manager and click on Batteries. Check for updated drivers, if any are found then do the update. Once the drivers are all up to date, reboot the laptop and plug it in again. If this doesn't resolve the problem, uninstall "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" completely and reboot.
I checked and it said the drivers were up to date. I will try uninstalling the compliant control.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI