Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

windows 10 browser

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

I miss Chrome but Win 10   does not work with  it. I have freezing pausing etc. when Chrome is installed. I use it to work with my android phone. I am using edge but Cortana is deaf compared with Chrome. is there another good browser perhaps one with voice to text like Chrome?

I guess the next best is Firefox or am I mistaken. There are times when a  2nd browser comes in handy.

TY

Peter

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

I miss Chrome but Win 10 does not work with it.

Of course not. Chrome is made by Google and Windows by Microsoft.

Not sure why Chrome is causing freezing problems. It shouldn't and does not on any of my W10 systems. Note that most browser problems are due to misbehaving add-ons. I would disable any and see what happens. Or totally uninstall Chrome, reboot, then download the latest version and install it again. Either way, not sure what that has to do with your android phone - other than just being familiar.

I am not a fan of FF. Too many security vulnerabilities over the years. To their credit, they get patched quickly. But I do like Pale Moon which is based on FF code.

That said, I still use and prefer IE11 and which is included in W10 - just not as the default.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Chrome on the laptop which is similar to the desktop has no problems. Just the desktop.

The phone was just a reference to syncing not part of the problem here.

I thought MSIE 11 was not supported my MS or I would have used it too. I am using Opera as my second browser.

I will take your  advice and disable any extensions to chrome and reinstall the latest version. I have done it 3x's and it immediately starts issues with Win anniversary. When I click the mouse it pauses for 20 seconds before responding. I just found a fix that seems to work but don't know if it its the cure because there are so many variables. Power options and choose what power buttons do then uncheck fast start up.

I'll get back to you when I do a restore point then try Chrome with no extensions and thank you.

I have to reduce the number of variables or I won't know what the issue is.

Peter 

​P.S. Check the number of complaints on the www regarding chrome and anniversary. It appears to be extensive. 

#4 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:27 AM

I thought MSIE 11 was not supported my MS or I would have used it too.

Sure its supported with no reason to suspect it won't be for years to come. W10 comes with Edge set as the default but all versions of W10 still come with IE, and that can easily be set as the default.

P.S. Check the number of complaints on the www regarding chrome and anniversary. It appears to be extensive.

Not it isn't. There are complaints but certainly not extensive. In fact, they are few.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

I just got an update (KB2993928).

Is that of significance regarding this issue?

How do I get MSIE 11?

#6 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

You already have it. Just start typing Internet explorer in your search box.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:32 PM

I wanted you to know I just got update (KB3176938) and the date should have been 1 sept.

This may be why I had issue and not the power or chrome. How do you feel about that latent AU I clicked on to apply myself.

And yes, I will look at MSIE 11.

TY

Peter

#8 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:43 PM

I wanted you to know I just got update (KB3176938) and the date should have been 1 sept.

Actually, it is dated 31 Aug.

AU? I don't know what that is, unless you mean anniversary update. But don't have a clue what you are talking about in terms of "latent" AU. If you meant latest, well, there was only one so don't know what you mean there either.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

AU is known as automatic update. I did not devise it.

A latent AU would mean that the update in question was issued to me on 3 Sept. not on 31 Aug.

I never implied there was more than one  of the update in question.

So you have  told me you do not understand 3 of the items in my brief post.   I don't have this trouble anywhere else.

#10 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

AU is not a common term in IT. But when used, is typically used to signify the "Anniversary Update" as I noted above. Google it and see for yourself - or click on that. And in any case, AU for automatic update would be an all inclusive term for any program that has an auto-updater feature - which includes most programs.

WU, on the other hand is commonly used in forums for the Windows update program called, oddly enough "Windows Update", not automatic update.

I don't have this trouble anywhere else.

Sorry to be so disappointing. But I am not going to assume you know what you are talking about, or that I understand you when say so many things that are inaccurate not clear or just not true. For example, Chrome certainly does work with W10 and was not broken by the "AU" (anniversary update).

One of Cortana's main features is it is voice activated so it certainly is not deaf. Chrome on the other hand, is not voice activated unless you install an add-on. And of course, IE is still supported by MS and is included in W10.

And these updates don't lay in a dormant (latent) state though they may not be pushed out all at once to avoid swamping the Internet. It is not uncommon for updates to take days to be delivered to everyone - especially to computers that are turned off when not in use.  

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#11 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

To add IE11 to the Taskbar, click Start, scroll down to Windows Accessories. Right click on IE11 then More then Pin to Taskbar.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#13 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

Thank you sir. Would you use it?

Edited by Peter1, 04 September 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

I do use IE11 along with Seamonkey and occasionally Firefox. I'll even try Edge every now and again but I don't have Chrome installed on any of my computers.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#15 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

I guess your typing skills suffice; I need the mic to get it done but am paying the price for a monster.