This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows 10 browser

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I miss Chrome but Win 10   does not work with  it. I have freezing pausing etc. when Chrome is installed. I use it to work with my android phone. I am using edge but Cortana is deaf compared with Chrome. is there another good browser perhaps one with voice to text like Chrome?

I guess the next best is Firefox or am I mistaken. There are times when a  2nd browser comes in handy.

TY

Peter

I miss Chrome but Win 10 does not work with it.

 

Of course not. Chrome is made by Google and Windows by Microsoft.

 

Not sure why Chrome is causing freezing problems. It shouldn't and does not on any of my W10 systems. Note that most browser problems are due to misbehaving add-ons. I would disable any and see what happens. Or totally uninstall Chrome, reboot, then download the latest version and install it again. Either way, not sure what that has to do with your android phone - other than just being familiar.

 

I am not a fan of FF. Too many security vulnerabilities over the years. To their credit, they get patched quickly. But I do like Pale Moon which is based on FF code.

 

That said, I still use and prefer IE11 and which is included in W10 - just not as the default.

Chrome on the laptop which is similar to the desktop has no problems. Just the desktop.

The phone was just a reference to syncing not part of the problem here.

I thought MSIE 11 was not supported my MS or I would have used it too. I am using Opera as my second browser.

I will take your  advice and disable any extensions to chrome and reinstall the latest version. I have done it 3x's and it immediately starts issues with Win anniversary. When I click the mouse it pauses for 20 seconds before responding. I just found a fix that seems to work but don't know if it its the cure because there are so many variables. Power options and choose what power buttons do then uncheck fast start up.

I'll get back to you when I do a restore point then try Chrome with no extensions and thank you.

I have to reduce the number of variables or I won't know what the issue is.

Peter 

​P.S. Check the number of complaints on the www regarding chrome and anniversary. It appears to be extensive. 

I thought MSIE 11 was not supported my MS or I would have used it too.

 

Sure its supported with no reason to suspect it won't be for years to come. W10 comes with Edge set as the default but all versions of W10 still come with IE, and that can easily be set as the default.

 

P.S. Check the number of complaints on the www regarding chrome and anniversary. It appears to be extensive.

 

Not it isn't. There are complaints but certainly not extensive. In fact, they are few.

I wanted you to know I just got update (KB3176938) and the date should have been 1 sept.

This may be why I had issue and not the power or chrome. How do you feel about that latent AU I clicked on to apply myself.

And yes, I will look at MSIE 11.

TY

Peter

 I wanted you to know I just got update (KB3176938) and the date should have been 1 sept.

 

Actually, it is dated 31 Aug.

 

AU? I don't know what that is, unless you mean anniversary update. But don't have a clue what you are talking about in terms of "latent" AU. If you meant latest, well, there was only one so don't know what you mean there either.

AU is known as automatic update. I did not devise it.

A latent AU would mean that the update in question was issued to me on 3 Sept. not on 31 Aug.

I never implied there was more than one  of the update in question.

 

So you have  told me you do not understand 3 of the items in my brief post.   I don't have this trouble anywhere else.

AU is not a common term in IT. But when used, is typically used to signify the "Anniversary Update" as I noted above. Google it and see for yourself - or click on that. And in any case, AU for automatic update would be an all inclusive term for any program that has an auto-updater feature - which includes most programs.

 

WU, on the other hand is commonly used in forums for the Windows update program called, oddly enough "Windows Update", not automatic update.

 

Quote

I don't have this trouble anywhere else.

 

Sorry to be so disappointing. But I am not going to assume you know what you are talking about, or that I understand you when say so many things that are inaccurate not clear or just not true. For example, Chrome certainly does work with W10 and was not broken by the "AU" (anniversary update).

 

One of Cortana's main features is it is voice activated so it certainly is not deaf. Chrome on the other hand, is not voice activated unless you install an add-on. And of course, IE is still supported by MS and is included in W10.

 

And these updates don't lay in a dormant (latent) state though they may not be pushed out all at once to avoid swamping the Internet. It is not uncommon for updates to take days to be delivered to everyone - especially to computers that are turned off when not in use.  

I do use IE11 along with Seamonkey and occasionally Firefox. I'll even try Edge every now and again but I don't have Chrome installed on any of my computers.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI