This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

My IE9 will not upgrade to a higher version (Win7 x64)

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello guys,

 

Can someone please help me with this. I have tried reading all the knowledge based on microsoft website. But I still cant resolve this issue.

 

I have a Win7 Ultimate x64 machine with 2Ghz dual core processor and 4GB ram. The OS is updated with all the SP1 updates.

However, it will not update my IE9. This update keeps failing when performing Windows Updates. I have tried installing the actual IE10 and IE11 downloads. But they either stop before completing, or they complete but IE9 is still not upgraded.

 

Can someone please help me with this. There are way to many websites that do not support IE9 anymore. For now I am using Firefox (fuly updated). But I still need to work with IE.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks,

ggee

Hello everyone,

 

Please disregard. This is SOLVED.

 

-I decided to start Win7 in Cleanboot mode.

-Then I uninstalled all instances of Internet Explorer and related Security Updates (from the Control Panel/Programs and Features).

-I made sure to reboot at every step (this made it take much longer).

-Once I was sure that IE was totally uninstalled, I rebooted back into Normal Mode.

-I then opened a raised cmd screen (Run as Administrator).

-I ran a sfc /scannow (just incase - it found minor errors and resolved some of them).

-I disabled my antivirus software (just incase).

-I opened Windows Update and let it automatically find and install all IE11 updates.

-It installed with no errors and I restarted my machine.

-I repeated the Windows Update process a couple of times because it found secondary IE11 related updates.

 

Now I have IE11 fully installed, updated, and running. I believe that the old IE9 was some how corrupted and never uninstalled itself - which never allowed IE11 to properly install.

 

Thanks anyways.

ggee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI