This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

OneDrive

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am getting ready to reformat my hard drive. First though, I need to get my important documents and pics onto OneDrive. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be working correctly. I do not see the blue bar at the top that allows me to upload, nor has their been any activity on OneDrive since December 15. That is about the time that I was working through some troubleshooting on here with a malware problem that was successfully removed with help for your wonderful support on What the Tech. I am not sure if any program that was downloaded then is preventing OneDrive from uploading? Thanks, Suzy

Hi Suzy,
It has to be your call on where you keep some of your back ups…. and I wouldn't want to influence you unduly…

However there is something to be said for keeping them on your own media and under your own control rather than on someone else's computer.

Using cloud services is fine for one of your back ups, but do remember the old rule of three when it comes to backing up

Three separate copies of all your important stuff, all on different media, one can be on the cloud if you wish (One drive etc) but you should have two others under your direct control and on your own devices (external hard drives, USB 's etc., DVD's, other computers etc.

Some folks often regard backing up as being necessary only when reformatting and a reinstall is required, but in reality it should be a regular part of your computer "housekeeping"… I tell my customers that backing up is somewhat similar to brushing one's teeth…. it has been said that folks only need to brush and floss the teeth they want to keep!….. same with computers, you only need to back up the stuff you need to keep! Some people say the frequency of backing up should be about the same as the teeth brushing…

None of the tools the malware fighters use in disinfecting computers are likely to prevent access to your One Drive, but in respect of damage that malware can do to a computer system then the sky is the limit, so hopefully the format and reinstall should clear up a multitude of problems.

Do make sure that you have everything your need before starting the format as this clears everything from your machine the bad as well as the good.

Good luck and I hope the back is behaving itself.
Regards
paws

Hi Suzy,

 

Tthe normal way should work just fine, some folks like to "drag and drop" the files (highlight the files you want to copy and drag them to your DVD)

 

other folks like to copy and paste (highlight the files you want to copy) and press Ctrl+c and then in your DVD drive paste them in using Ctrl+v

 

Other folks like to right click the files that you want to copy and click on send to DVD, as usual with Windows there are many methods of achieving the same results, but just choose your normal one and it should work just fine.

 

An external USB hard drive ( 500Gb capacity) is available here in the UK for around £30 (GBP) say about $45 (USD) and as things seem to be a lot less expensive your side of the water you could probably buy them somewhat cheaper?…. if you go down that route then I would be inclined to buy two of them (if you haven't got some already)

 

Regards

paws

May I add that you can save files and foldes to your flash drives but you could use an imaging pogram to image or capture a picture of your operating system to an external drive or two with an imagng program. One that comes to mind is macrium reflect.  I say this b/c I have tried them all and this is free, easy and effective. In 10 minutes you can recover your machine to the state it was in before any damage occurred.  There tutorials available to show you how to do this. Imaging relieves you of having to restore all your apps and notes. This forum has taught me the importance of image, image, image. You cannot have enough backups.

I will bow out as you are in excellent hands with Paws.  Good luck.                                                          

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI