This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Download Wifi on my HP Win 10 laptop peaks at only 1.4Mbps

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi All,

I have a HP 15-ab030TX Pavilion (Notebook) with a Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter. The wifi download speeds never goes above 1.4 Mbps (mega bits, not bytes). I looked at the wifi adapter properties in Device Manager and they appear OK.

Any way to break thru this 1.4Mbps barrier? I'm on cable internet which I know is very fast. I also have the same 1.4Mbps peak when I take my pc to other homes that also have fast cable internet. I'm able to view Netflix totally fine on my home entertainment system.

What other details you need to diagnose this?

I googled this problem but was not able to find any helpful links.

Thanks,

Hi kwaney1n and welcome to our forum.

 

:welcome:

 

Sorry to hear about the speed issues on your computer, what speed do you think you should be getting?/ or are paying for?

 

i would try a cheap USB wifi adapter and see if this fixes the problem, you may have one lying around or be able to borrow one from a chum, however they are only a pound or two or a dollar or three..  well known internet auction sites have them or your local dealer,

(but expect to pay more from a local dealer.

 

Post back and let us know how things go

 

I am assuming, of course that you have checked all the usual things… not using a proxy, not sharing bandwidth with a host of other devices,  no peer to peer file sharing applications installed (for torrents etc) and that you have a good strong wifi signal ( 5 bars or equivalent) and your wif fi settings are all correct and as the maker intended…

 

Regards

paws

OK, I partially solved the problem. On a hunch I uninstalled VirtualBox 5.04 and my max wifi download speed immediately went from 1.4Mbps to 3.8Mbps. Nice. 2.5 times faster. Could be that I didn't have VB configured properly, but I wasn't using it anyway so I just got rid of it.

3.8Mbps is nice but is that the fastest I can expect from a b/g/n adapter? I'll take my pc to another location and see if that makes a difference. Also, if I get a USB wifi adapter I'll post here if that makes a difference. Thanks,

That's a great improvement, so well done!

:thumbup:

 

however you said that you were on a cable connection for Internet that you know is very fast….

 

On a fast cable connection I would expect around 50mbps or so, maybe more, maybe less, but certainly 3.8mbps, whilst a great improvement is a Very Slow connection…

 

Your ISP should be able to give you the speed you can expect (and are paying for) so it would be as well to check that what you are getting is actually what you are paying for

Regards

paws

I called the ISP (Comcast) and they said our data plan is 4Mbits/sec max download which which matches what I'm seeing. 4Mbits/sec is also good enough for my parents (I'm just visiting here for a while). I'll test it again when I get to another location. I have a feeling uninstalling VirtualBox 5.04 fixed the problem. Thanks,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI