This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Sharing dongle Internet from Laptop to Mobile

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

 

I have connected laptop to internet using dongle. Now, I want to share the laptop internet with my Android and Windows mobile by making my laptop as hotspot. To do this, I followed online tutorial for this.

 

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-set-up-a-wireless-hotspot-From-WiFi-Windows/

 

It is nothing but executing following commands from cmd (Run as Admin):

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=myhotspot key=password
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

 

Then new network Adaptor by name "myhotspot" is created. Now, I right click on my dongle adaptor and select Properties. In the Sharing Tab, I checked the checkboxes and select "myhotspot" in the dropdown.

 

 

Now, when I connect to "myhotspot" on my Android mobile, it is connected but internet is not working on the mobile.

 

Can someone please guide me in troubleshooting the issue?

 

Or let me know the alternate way of doing it.

 

Also, please let me know if any other information or clarification is required from my side.

Hi vijay.gupta, I am sorry that none of our members have responded to your question.

 

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of smartphones and the like so cannot help.

 

Have you considered contacting the manufacturers of your phone or their forums to see if anyone else has tried this and succeeded to connect as you want to?

Regards

paws

Thanks for the reply paws. I have posted this query to other forum.  And just wanted to clarify that this is not a smartphone query but it is a windows 7 qury. The query here is: How to make windows 7 wireless hotspot so that connected internet can be shared.

never set up a virtual wifi adaptor, always thought you needed 2 network adaptors in the pc, 1 used to connect to the internet and one used for the hotspot, so no advice but i did notice this in the guide you linked.

 

Similar to my last instructable you will need:

A pre-existing wireless internet connection.
AND

Windows 7 - As far as I am aware the windows 7 OS must be either Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate. - In this Instructable, I am using Windows 7 Enterprise.

so first thing that jumps into my mind is that you're not using a correct win 7 os version.

 

most people have either win7 home (basic or premium) or win 7 pro installed.

 

:popcorn:  

Thanks for noticing that, however, would that make any difference?

 

And if that makes any difference, can it done for windows 7 home?

if it didn't make a difference i can't see why they would mention it in the guide.

 

different versions have different capabilities built in to them.

 

i've no idea if it can be done on win7 home but doubt it without the required files included in the other versions but missing from home and pro. (whatever those files are, i'd guess it's the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) enhancements)

 

here's a link explaining the differences between home and ultimate. :- http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/difference-between-windows-7-home-professional-and-ultimate/

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI