I downloaded Win 10 from tech bench.
is it correct to say that now I insert the disc and right click the image and click burn to disc and verify?
5 min read
I downloaded Win 10 from tech bench.
is it correct to say that now I insert the disc and right click the image and click burn to disc and verify?
it depends, is what you downloaded an iso?
pretty sure as long as it's an iso image all you need to do is double left click on it to start the burn to dvd process but your right click way does the same thing.
![]()
It is the image form tech bench. I assume an ISO can be .WIM and this what it is supposed to be.
I did it twice and got two results.
I am trying it again.
I understand that install.WIM should be under sources when expanded.
i assume tech bench is an official windows download site, never actually having used it myself as far as i remember.
if the downloaded file ends with .wim then it is not an iso, it needs to end with .iso for it to be an iso image.
so if it is .wim then you would need to convert it into an iso image before burning it to dvd.
personally i'd get the iso image from here if i needed to :- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
![]()
Peter, right click on the ISO and select Mount. Then look at the sources directory of the mounted image to see if install.wim is there or install.esd. If it's the one you want then burn the DVD. I use Imgburn for this, but right click and burn should work, though I've never used it.
I tried another time and it failed.
I tried again and it succeeded. I expanded 'sources' and the ISO read .WIM.
This is what I want.
The site you referred me to was the one you have to upgrade to first so MS servers know your PC. Once done you then can install a DVD It is the first step and creates an .ESD.
I will give it a rest now and my next project is to refine the conversion of an .ESD image to a .WIM.
I know you are in to Linux more than Windows. I wish I was too. I liked some Linux programs but was totally unfamiliar with the jargon or nomenclature. SUDO etc was befuddling. I think it would be the thing to do if you know what you are doing.
Thanx again for your help.
Peter
Peter, right click on the ISO and select Mount. Then look at the sources directory of the mounted image to see if install.wim is there or install.esd. If it's the one you want then burn the DVD. I use Imgburn for this, but right click and burn should work, though I've never used it.
As my post explains I did not know this and went ahead and burned the disc without mounting. However, under 'sources' it says install.wim.
I will make note of this idea of mounting and checking the sources folder in my learning folder. Thank you peter
The site you referred me to was the one you have to upgrade to first so MS servers know your PC. Once done you then can install a DVD It is the first step and creates an .ESD.
must offer different options depending on os then because of course using linux it just lets me download an iso, didn't actually follow through of course so was unaware what file format would be in the iso.
glad you got it sorted now though. ![]()
![]()
Peter, you can also browse an ISO without mounting it using 7-Zip or WinRar. I don't know if native Windows 10 has this capability.
Rich
I just received an email saying now that I have created the ISO as .WIM I can now mount it. I thought what I did was all I had to do and that I have a DVD that can install and repair Win 10.
Is mounting necessary and when do I do it. I saw a mount option when I right clicked on the ISO file but chose to burn it not to mount it.
Should I have mounted then burned it? This mounting is confusing me as all I wanted to do was create the ISO as .WIM to install and repair.
Peter
when you "mount" something all your doing is making it's contents usable by the operating system and so any programs can use it.
so that's why when you use the dism command with an iso image it needs to be mounted first before dism can access and use the info stored in the iso image file.
when you insert a dvd or usb stick for example the operating system automatically "mounts" them so any data they contain can be used but with files like an iso image you need to manually mount them first.
like i tried to explain in a previous post, think of some file types as containers (iso image for example.), and these containers need to be opened before what's inside can be gotten to, and that's what "mounting" does it just opens the container.
so you don't need to mount an iso image before burning, because when burning your just moving the container and all it's contents to the dvd without the need to know/use it's contents.
hope that clears things up a bit for you.
![]()
a quick test to show what i mean is to mount your iso image and then you will see all the files/folders stored in the iso image, but until you actually mount the iso image all windows see's is the iso file. don't know if windows unmounts the file after a certain time or when you close the window once you've mounted it unless you actually told it to unmount the iso file, but logging out or restarting the pc would definitely unmount it needing you to mount it again next time if you wanted to see/use it's contents again.
OK, so I downloaded the ISO .WIM from TechBench and right clicked. I then clicked to verify before burning. Is my disc OK to install and repair?
I think I understand that mounting puts the information in the file system for use but in my case this will occur when I insert the DVD -correct or nay?
yes and yes, or more exactly for the second question when you put the dvd in the tray you will get the option to open with file manager or something similar and when you click that option is when it gets mounted.
![]()
infantile but appropriate that it is settled.
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI