This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Just When You Thought You Saw Everything

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am totally lost on this one. I'll try and make a long story short: I have a Zotac H55 motherboard with an i5 processor. was running Windows 7, upgraded to Windows 10 until I got stuck with the common update failure on 10 and system would not start. Everything ran good before the update. So, I wiped the drive and re-installed Windows 7 - here comes the amazing part - I have an Airlink 300N that I install for my Wi-Fi. Every time I try to install it now it freezes Windows. Nothing will work until I take the adapter out of the USB port. This adapter is fine I'm using it now on another machine. I'm not sure if the motherboard is fried or the CPU. Never heard of such a thing before. Anyone have any idea what's going on? 

Still no luck. Drivers load but do not show in my programs list but Airlink shows in control panel. At least Windows isn't freezing when I plug the Adapter in. This is strange to say the least.

From Safe Mode, delete the Airlink adapter from Device Manager and if allowqed, delete the driver as well.

Reboot normally then download and install the latest driver for it, see if that helps.

Okay, this is really weird - When I try to reinstall the adapter the install stops (at "Now Installing Airlink 101 Wireless Lan Driver) and the computer freezes. I can't even get to the Control Panel screen. When I pulled out the adapter I got a blue screen that shut down the windows and restarted. Do you believe this is a software or hardware problem? Now, every time I pull out the adapter it restarts. It seems the adapter stops all normal functions when installed ( no matter what adapter I use) - my machine will not even recognize another USB use like inputting a flash drive. In device manager I also have multiple listing of the CPU and Audio devices. I have some screen shots attached.

BIG UPDATE: I FOUND THE SOLUTION - I set the system back to the Optimal Default settings and that solved the problem.

Thanks for the time on this one. I can only think that Windows 10 changed the BIOS settings.

 

Thanks Again

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI