This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

USB Wireless Adapter locks computer at startup

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

If left plugged in my Realtek 11N wireless adapter will not allow computer to startup. It freezes at BIOS flash screen with no keyboard or mouse action allowed. Have to hold start button 4 seconds to shut off, remove adapter, then restart computer. After computer restarts I can plug in adapter and it works fine. Just can't start the computer with the adapter plugged in. Windows XP home SP3 Motherboard Aopen AX79D-400VN Tried replacing CPU AMD AXDA2500DKV4D Tried replacing hard drive with new XP install. Bios was updated to 11/22/2004
Looks like I solved the problem. I disconnected an internal USB Card Reader that was accessible from the front. Maybe that device conflicted with the USB Wireless Adapter. Who knows? I'm happy because now the wireless adapter doesn't lock up the computer at start-up when plugged in.
Hi Boondockers, Glad to hear that you fixed it. :thumbup: and thanks for letting us know what caused the problem. Any one with similar problems should be able to find your topic as the search engines will have indexed it. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI