Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

is this my wireless card?

internet connection drops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yelodoggie

yelodoggie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

I have been having an ongoing problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 560 desktop. I am connecting to the internet wirelessly. I bought the computer with Windows 7 OS, but did the free upgrade to Win 10. What happens is that when I start up, I connect, but a few minutes after I get online, the connection drops...or goes down to a speed of like 6.5 MPS, where everything just kind of hangs in limbo. If I leave it alone, it will usually eventually pick up speed, but it's SO ANNOYING. Is this some sort of failure with my wireless card?  I do not have this same issue when connecting wirelessly via my kindle, so I am thinking it's not the isp or the modem, but something inherent in my desktop.  Any ideas?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:38 PM

According to the Dell support site, your PC has

Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card Desktops, v.8.0.0.376, A02

View details

File Name: R290807.exe
Importance: Recommended

Description: Hard-Drive (7.28 MB)
Release Date: 07 Mar 2011

Version: 8.0.0.376 ,A02
Last Updated: 07 Jul 2012

The driver they supply is very old but I don't see a newer one anywhere. You could try uninstalling it from Device Manager then reboot and let Windows 10 rediscover it and reload the driver, see if that helps.

Alternatively you could add a new WIFI card (PCE-E or USB) and disable the onboard one.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 yelodoggie

yelodoggie

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

Would I find that info in Network Adapters? Here's what it says:

Linksys AE1000 #6 
Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller
WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
WAN miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IPv6)
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)
WAN Miniport (SSTP)

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Yes, in Device Manager, under Network Adapters. What's interesting is you show a Linksys AE1000 and not an Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card. Have you added a PCI/PCI-E or USB wireless device?

Try running msinfo32 from the Run box.

Expand Components, Network, Adapter and see what it shows

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown