This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

is this my wireless card?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been having an ongoing problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 560 desktop. I am connecting to the internet wirelessly. I bought the computer with Windows 7 OS, but did the free upgrade to Win 10. What happens is that when I start up, I connect, but a few minutes after I get online, the connection drops…or goes down to a speed of like 6.5 MPS, where everything just kind of hangs in limbo. If I leave it alone, it will usually eventually pick up speed, but it's SO ANNOYING. Is this some sort of failure with my wireless card?  I do not have this same issue when connecting wirelessly via my kindle, so I am thinking it's not the isp or the modem, but something inherent in my desktop.  Any ideas?

According to the Dell support site, your PC has

 

Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card Desktops, v.8.0.0.376, A02

View details

File Name: R290807.exe
Importance: Recommended
 
Description: Hard-Drive (7.28 MB)
Release Date: 07 Mar 2011
 
Version: 8.0.0.376 ,A02
Last Updated: 07 Jul 2012
 

Download

 

The driver they supply is very old but I don't see a newer one anywhere. You could try uninstalling it from Device Manager then reboot and let Windows 10 rediscover it and reload the driver, see if that helps.

 

Alternatively you could add a new WIFI card (PCE-E or USB) and disable the onboard one.

Would I find that info in Network Adapters? Here's what it says:
 

Linksys AE1000 #6 
Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller
WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
WAN miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IPv6)
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)
WAN Miniport (SSTP)

Yes, in Device Manager, under Network Adapters. What's interesting is you show a Linksys AE1000 and not an Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card. Have you added a PCI/PCI-E or USB wireless device?

 

Try running msinfo32 from the Run box.

Expand Components, Network, Adapter and see what it shows

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI