Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Macrium v5

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hello How do you use this disc? If you enter it in the bay and hit a key, then wait, it takes forever and I did not see Macrium - however, a tutorial showed someone fast forwarding and eventually Macrium appeared after it showed, "Windows files are loading". Are you supposed to use the advanced section where it says to boot from cd/dvd in Win 8 or not? I have the old BIOS but wondered about mine and the newer UEFI. I still can see my images with the Linux disc and amafraid to lose my image so don't want to fiddle with the WinPE disc. Another person said he waited a long time but nothing happened with his Macrium v 5 when he inserted the Win PE disc. He suspects there is an issue with Macrium's WinPE disc.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

you'd use it in exactly the same way as the linux disc, so no idea why it's not working for you peter.

i'd ask here if your having problems with it tho. :- http://support.macrium.com/

:popcorn:

i have seen people reporting bad burns using macrium to burn the discs tho and say they usually get it to just create an iso image then use some other burning program that they know works well on their pc's like nero to then burn the image to a disc that will work when macrium reflect burned discs won't.

Edited by terry1966, 14 October 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

It's ok Terry. I was reading there was some confusion about how you actually use the disc to recover. I guess I just inset it, reboot, hit a key and see what happens(no F12). I tap F12 with the Linux one. I have the older BIOS not the newer UEFI. I never used the WinPE and was afraid I would be offered a lot of decisions I was no prepared for. I am a bit confused as to how to get the iso to burn with my burner. Do you let Macrium do it then make a copy with your own burner? Thank you Peter

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

far as i'm aware peter the only reason why you'd need to hit the F12 key on start up is if the cd/dvd drive wasn't first boot option in bios.
the F12 key just offers you options on what device you want to boot from i believe from my experience with other pc's/laptops and never actually using macrium reflect myself.

so yes i'd say they should both work in exactly the same way (maybe slightly different gui's on the screen but to all intents and purposes both exactly the same.) just as long as the winpe version of the linux disc is a good burn and the disc can be read and booted.

:popcorn:

I am a bit confused as to how to get the iso to burn with my burner. Do you let Macrium do it then make a copy with your own burner?

sorry missed this.

from my understanding when you make the boot/recovery/startup (whatever it's called.) disc you have two choices in macrium
1 is to just create an iso image or 2 is to burn it straight to disc. (this choice is probably just a single box somewhere that either you put a tick/x in or leave blank.)

if you choose 2 then the macrium reflect will burn straight to a blank disc in your drive or ask you to put in a blank disc and then burn to it.
with option 1 tho it will ask you where to save the iso image and then create it in a folder you've chosen. something called xxxx.iso where the x's would be some name or another. then you would open any image burning software that is on your pc and tell it to burn an image and point that to the xxxx.iso file to burn it to a disc.

both options give you exactly the same thing on a disc. it's just that you've used two different programs to burn the software to a disc.

Edited by terry1966, 15 October 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Terry I understand now that you have sent that very clear explanation. I know there are good burners like IMGBURN but I have Ashampoo and it does everything I want and is easy for a person with my skill level. Now that I understand, I will create the iso this way to avoid any problems. I always wondered why they offer the option to get the iso file and now I know. Even they must suspect possible trouble with their burner. Should I just insert the disc and hit any key when prompted at boot up, or tap F12 like the Linux disc to set the boot order? Thank you

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

the start up process goes like this peter you start your pc and it will start straight up into windows after flashing a few short bios messages on your screen, one of these messages usually says something like press F12 for boot options. press Del for setup. or something along those lines. now if you have a boot cd in your dvd drive and do nothing 1:- it will either boot into windows as normal or 2:- you will be offered a new menu of some type showing it's booted to the cd disc, if it boots into windows then you know your setting in the bios must be set to hard drive first so now you'll have to start the pc again but this time when the press F12 for boot options flashes on screen you'd start tapping the F12 key until the boot option menu appears and select the dvd drive to boot from it. this process is exactly the same for any cd you want to boot first from the dvd drive before your windows os gets it's chance to start loading up, depending on bios setting when you start your pc it will either start the cd straight up instead of windows or you will need to tap F12 to start the cd. so if you find you do need to tap F12 to boot the linux cd then you will need to do the same for the winpe cd. only way to find out is to run the startup process with the cd's in the drive and see if it boots into windows if you do nothing. it's also one way to test if the cd's are a good burn and can be read. type of pc/bios/uefi operating system etc doesn't make any difference whatever in this initial boot process. so use the same process with the winpe disc as you do with the linux disc and if it starts up and shows you an options menu then you know it's a good burn, if it doesn't (may boot into windows os when it can't boot the cd) then it may be a bad burn or like you said earlier there may be some problem with the way macrium creates the winpe iso that means it won't boot regardless of what you used to burn the disc. just testing the boot up of the discs will not in anyway damage your backup images or make any changes to your hard drive and os UNLESS you specifically select certain options after the disc is up and running and tell it to restore from an image for example. so all you need to do to test is see if it boots into the cd's option menu then escape out (or select the option to leave, what ever it may be.) of the program to make sure nothing gets changed and restart your pc. :popcorn: the reasons why programs offer the choice to just create an iso image is because there are more than 1 way to use the image. you don't even need to burn it to cd and can actually run it straight off a hard drive saving yourself a blank disc or write it to a usb stick and boot from that instead. ;)

Edited by terry1966, 15 October 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hi terry That was so detailed even I could get it. I burned the iso as you said and I the am will test it. It sneaky as I clicked on cd/dvd and it expanded to reveal iso and some other choice. Thank you so much for all of your help. I hope others reading this thread will learn for your posts within it. Thanks again Peter

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

:thumbup: :popcorn: