This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Boot from USB with UEFI

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Do I have to format the usb drive with rufus?

Do I have to disable secure boot?

DoI have to set the boot order in so USB is first and hard drive is second?

I think MCT and macrium will work with no changes by me, correct?

If the USB stick is to read from I would not do anything?

Obviously I know nothing about this so would appreciate help. Thank you

Do I have to format the usb drive with rufus?
NO
 
Do I have to disable secure boot?
 
Do I have to set the boot order in so USB is first and hard drive is second?

No, use the Fn key that gives you the one time Boot menu.

 
I think MCT and macrium will work with no changes by me, correct?

Do you mean the flash drive MCT creates? If so, then correct, no change needed.

By Macrium, you mean a Macrium rescue flash drive? If so then it depends on how you create the flash drive. If you use Rufus and chose the wrong options it won't work (BIOS/MBR if you have a EFI/GPT for instance). Better to use the manual steps I think I posted for you awhile back. I'll post them again at the end of this message.

 
If the USB stick is to read from I would not do anything?

Don't understand this, please explain.

 

Here is a manual (non-Rufus) procedure originally posted by NavyLCDR on another forum that I recorded and saved (with slight modifications). I've used it many times now and it works under all boot conditions, UEFI/GPT/MBR or BIOS/CSM/MBR.

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
2. Insert the USB flash drive.
3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt. It will say Administrator Command Prompt in the Title bar. Enter the following commands:
4. diskpart
5. lis dis       (list disk)

6. sel dis #   (select disk) <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
7. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
7a. If the flash drive shows as GPT then you need to convert it to MBR: convert mbr
8. cre par pri    (create partition primary)
8a. sel par 1     (select partition 1)
9. format fs=fat32 quick
9a. assign
10. active
11. exit
12. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
13. Mount the ISO you downloaded. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more…
14. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

I should know how to post more accurately as no one is a mind reader - sorry.

I am keeping these notes as usual for reference.

 

May I clarify what should have been stated in my first post. I am not sure what I am asking b/c with UEFI there are different boot circumstances. There is booting to install Windows, booting to a Macrium image, reading a pendrive, and writing to it, booting from a pendrive or other disc etc.

 

 Basically, I was trying to figure out, now that I have UEFI, what to do what with a pen drive.  It appears that depends upon the circumstances I will have to learn as I go along.

 

I have yet to learn how to disable secure boot in my PC but will learn. I imagine when to do so will become apparent when I am trying to boot off of a drive and it will not work.

I am joining an Asus forum hoping someone can tell me how to disable secure boot. I am afraid to make a mistake and not being given the opportunity to "not save changes. All I have seen so far is "do you want to exit and save changes"" with no provision other than,  'yes'.

Thank you for taking the time – I appreciate it.

 

 

 

 

These are the first four pix as I enter settings. 

I don't go further b/c I need to back out without saving if I am wrong.

 

These steps to disable secure boot and  ?enable csm or legacy are 1/2 of the story. I am not grasping the whole concept afetr the stick is made

 

 

If you want to boot from a stick it must be configured as UEFI - this can be done as LT CMD or Rufus. If I use MCT alone it is not bootable or is it?

 

 

Once the sick is made, you can boot a couple of ways; when I see the logo I press F8 and choose the stick to click on to boot Or, inset the stick and in settings go through the disable secure boot and enable csm legacy. After boot I go back and reset - or not?

 

If this is too stressful please let me know and I will understand. it seems like something I have to be with someone too do. It may come o that and that is ok.

If you use MCT, insert it, boot, press F8, select it and it will boot. MCT creates the correct flash drive for the system it runs on.

 

If you use the manual process I posted awhile ago in a different thread for you, using diskpart, that will boot in all conditions.

 

If you use Rufus on your system, you need to create a UEFI/GPT flash drive. No Legacy/CSM needed or wanted, no MBR involved.

 

There should be no reason to enter setup to change anything in UEFI.

 

Best way to see what happens in each scenario is to try it.

I think I found an easy way to boot with this board with a drive that is UEFI or not.. After inserting drive and disabling secure boot, reboot and when logo appears click on F8. Then the drive should appear that you want. Click on it. I think ztruker told me this before but I cannot find it and although I have not actually followed through it seems to have worked so far. 

Excuse any redundancy

Two questions if I may:

1-if I click default will that make the machine pure UEFI?

2-If in pure UEFI to boot off a stick (GPT) should I disable secure boot and enable either or both legacy or CSM?

One says USB legacy support. One says CSM.

T.Y.  

1. Best way to find out is to try it. Manual says:

 

📎BIOS1.jpg

USB Legacy is not the same as CSM.

 

USB Legacy means USB 1.1 and 2.0 support.

The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment

I just found another piece of info - legacy usb support enabled is such so the pc will know there is a mouse and keyboard. Incidentally, back of pc white = 1 & 2 and blue = 3.

Thanks for all the help. I think I am getting a lot of the info I need just in case. I don't want to void the warranty so will only try with "no changes kept" for now.

The pieces of this puzzle likely left many average users with a new pc puzzled re: firmware. It did me. 

 

New to me is the following;

** To disable secure boot = During POST, press on the keyboard, Go to Boot -> Secure Boot -> OS Type -> Windows UEFI -> Key Management -> Clear Secure Boot Keys.

 

**To enabled secure boot after disabling it= press on the keyboard, Go to Boot -> Secure Boot -> OS Type -> Windows UEFI 

Yes, and then my manage or hard drive, correct.   

Just to bot off of media I don't have to do anything with all other settings do I?

Thanks .

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI