I have an Acer laptop with recently upgraded Windows 10. All fine until tonight but something has gone Fizz.
I shall try and explain what happened in very simple terms (being the simple fellow I am !)
I put the laptop on charge and intended to turn off the machine in the usual way via Power then Shut Down. This was from the password screen. As I clicked on Shut Down the cursor slipped onto the option above (is it hibernate or sleep? I cannot remember).
Now the program seems to be stuck on the password screen. There is my name, email address but no field to enter a password. There is a rotating circle as if something is happening. There are no other options on the screen. I have turned off and on and pressed virtually every button on the keyboard to no effect. Whenever I boot up it sticks here in this format and I can get no further.
1. Once your computer is booted up and is at the login screen then go down to where the little power button is in the bottom right hand corner and click on it.
2. Then hold down shift and click restart… Upon restart you should be faced with the lovely advanced options screen.
3. In the advanced options screen there are several things you can try… Refreshing your computer is one of them… Resetting is another… You can also try the troubleshooting section and see if that can help.
4. Also see if you can boot into safe mode and if you can try a System Restore to a time before this all happened.
5. Fiddle around in advanced options and see what you can do to get your computer to boot properly… Once you do I would recommend a System Restore to eliminate such problems in the future.
If you can't click on the Power button/Restart button at all then try holding down F8 or Shift+F8 while booting or unplugging your computer in the middle of a boot cycle so the next time it boots up it asks you if you want to load safe mode… All those are options. There is always the options of booting from a Windows 10 boot disc and using the "repair your computer" section there… Let me know!
Thank you very much for your reply. It seems the problem has cleared itself. It may be (and I emphasise may) that there was a major update/reconfiguration in progress that happened to coincide with what I thought was my error when attempting to shut down. In any event an hour or so after I posted I got a windows reconfiguration message and eventually was able to enter my password in the normal way. I feel a bit embarrassed about my post but I had never seen anything happen this way before.
Thank you for your suggested remedies but they would have failed at the first hurdle I'm afraid - there was no power button in the right-hand corner of the 'stuck' password screen. It had vanished.
This may not be related but when Windows is doing an update and it says "Do not turn of the computer off " then don't…. especially for Windows 10
There is no reason why it would ask you for a password other than for user log on and if you made one with the new install….if it does then you may have some issues if you did bypass the password on install.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI