Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal
Help Please Hijacked [Solved]
13 min read
NormanB
Topic Starter
Hi
This morning I opened an email attachment that purported to come from a genuine contact. I immediately suspected something was fishy and closed the attachment within a couple of seconds. I immediately changed my hotmail password. Some hours later I got an email from the contact saying his email had been hijacked and that the attachment contained a virus.
My computer seemed to be working ok and i began to run a virus scan I also updated spywareblaster but then the mouse pointer froze and the screen froze as well. I had to resort to switching the power button off.
When I tried to reboot the computer it seems to have got into some sort of loop cycle where it begins then says pressF2 to enter set up. When I press F2 there is a noise and it says please wait but then goes into a cycle of blank screen then the screen saying press F2 with nothing else happening. It's an Acer laptop running Windows7
I am writing this from an iPad as it is impossible to get into the laptop at the moment and send you a log.
I haven't got a clue what to do and would be grateful for any advice.
Many thanks
MrCharlie
Welcome to the forum.
See if you can do this:
MrC
See if you can do this:
- Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.
- If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.
If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.
To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
- Restart the computer.
- As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
- Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
- Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
- Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
- Select your user account an click Next.
Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-…isc-create.html
To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
- Insert the installation disc.
- Restart your computer.
- If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
- Click Repair your computer.
- Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
- Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
- Select your user account and click Next.
- On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
Select Command Prompt
Once in the Command Prompt: - In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
- The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
- Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
- In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive. - The tool will start to run.
- When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
- Press Scan button.
- It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
MrC
NormanB
Thanks for the prompt response Mr C.
I am completely tied up today Saturday and it looks as if I will need to devote a good amount of time to this. Is it ok for me to leave it until tomorrow before starting the task.
Thanks
NormanB
Please bear with me if I ask what are stupid questions because I know virtually nothing about computer systems.
I have downloaded the software but can't get any joy from pressing the F8 key. On the link you gave on making a repair disc does the computer I make the disc from also need to be windows7 or can I use my XP desk top to make it. If it helps then I have the three recovery discs I made when I first got the machine. I wondered if I inserted the first one would that be any use or do I need to make the repair disc via that link
Thanks
MrCharlie
I have downloaded the software but can't get any joy from pressing the F8 key.
Try holding down the control key (Ctrl) while it boots.
You have to use a W7 diskOn the link you gave on making a repair disc does the computer I make the disc from also need to be windows7 or can I use my XP desk top to make it.
If it helps then I have the three recovery discs I made when I first got the machine. I wondered if I inserted the first one would that be any use or do I need to make the repair disc via that link
You can try it
MrC
NormanB
I've made a recovery disc and put it into the drive but the machine is switching itself off before it gets the DVD drive going properly and remains in the loop of trying to boot up getting to the screen which says press F2 to enter set up then switching off
MrCharlie
Is the computer set to boot from the disk?? MrC
NormanB
Sorry I don't understand the question
MrCharlie
We want the computer to boot to the DVD drive, not Windows. To check that setting in the BIOS….look at the link below:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom
MrC
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom
MrC
NormanB
The screen which comes up when I switch on says press F2 to enter set up. I can't get past that screen because it keeps switching off then starting up again. When I press or hold down F2 the computer makes a beeping sound then switches off and cycles again.
The laptop is anAcer 5742 so don't know if there is a default set up. I have never changed any settings.
MrCharlie
Here's what I found:
He needs to go into BIOS setup (F2 at boot) and verify that D2D recovery is set to "enabled" then reboot and press ALT+F10 when Acer logo is visible (during BIOS POST but before Windows starts loading).
Timing is important here.
If he had burned recovery DVDs he can also change boot order in BIOS to set the DVD as first boot device, place a recovery DVD in the drive and again press ALT+F10 when he sees Acer logo.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/62407…in-win-7-a.html
MrC
He needs to go into BIOS setup (F2 at boot) and verify that D2D recovery is set to "enabled" then reboot and press ALT+F10 when Acer logo is visible (during BIOS POST but before Windows starts loading).
Timing is important here.
If he had burned recovery DVDs he can also change boot order in BIOS to set the DVD as first boot device, place a recovery DVD in the drive and again press ALT+F10 when he sees Acer logo.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/62407…in-win-7-a.html
MrC
NormanB
So do you want me to try alt and F10 now and if so doi dothat with or without the repair disc in
MrCharlie
Try what ever gets you to the BIOS so you can change the boot order so the computer boots to your DVD player and not Windows.
MrC
NormanB
The link you copied in your penultimate post would indicate it is the F2 key and that only results in the computer bleeping .
Do I do alt and F2 or just F2
MrCharlie
If you can't figure it out, please get someone to help you. I'm not there so all I can do is provide links to show you what procedure to use.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble…orderchange.htm
MrC
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble…orderchange.htm
MrC
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI