This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Acer Laptop won't boot

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My kid brought me her laptop (Acer 5515) that she says she bought in February of this year,(Against MY advice), and says that it won't start up. This is what I know about it: I plug in the charger cord, open the top, and push the start button. The light turns on, the hard drive starts to spin, for a few seconds, and then it all shuts off. There is a power light that stays on, on the charger cord. She originally thought it could be the charger cord, but I don't think so, because the light on it stays on, and it doesn't warm up. Could be the battery, but it seems kind of new for that to be the issue. She "says" it was working fine, "until all of a sudden……" (Ugghhhh!!!!) I get the same results, whether the charger cord is plugged in or not. I've gone to Acers' website, and the only recommendations that they had was to "reset" the unit, (which I did, to no avail), and that otherwise, the laptop might need to be serviced. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks! :pullhair: LOL
First of all, the laptop is under warranty for a minimum of one year. However, if the problems is caused by physical abuse they will probably not cover it. WHen the power adapter is plugged in do you see any lights on the laptop indicating that it is charging or getting power from the adapter? It sounds like a good chance your daughter damaged the power jack on the motherboard and now it is not charging. The battery is dead and so it only powers on for a couple of seconds before shutting off again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI