This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 10 key

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

If asked, should I give the key for Win 7 which was the OS that was in the pc when I bought it,  or the 8 key I use for 8.1?

If it is 7 how can I get it as I run 8.1?

 

I have Speecy and Belarc.

If asked by who? Do you mean the Windows 10 installer? If so, you should not be asked at all.

If you are asked it is most likely that you are trying  to install the wrong version, Pro on Win 10, WIn 10 on WIn 10 SL or N, etc.

 

Even if you decide to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 after you upgrade and activate, you will not be asked for a key.

Actually I am confused by the many ways to do this and there was mention of a key>Belarc etc.

Do I wait for the installation by Windows then somehow do a clean install with an iso dvd that I get somewhere?

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14386288227008&key=e366019488317e0acf11ee09e3297e4d&libId=icwaga3501000bw9000DAx2gndbw21ao5&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.majorgeeks.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D1923685%23post1923685&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&title=install%20win%2010%20with%20installation%20disc%20-%20MajorGeeks%20Support%20Forums%23post1923685&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fsoft…load%2Fwindows10

 

Does this make sense?

You have to boot the device you are going to install from, be it a DVD or a flash drive. MediaCreationTool allows you to create the flash drive directly or create an ISO that you can then use to create a flash drive (using Rufus) or burn a DVD (using ImgBurn).

 

These are the tutorials I would go by:

 

Windows 10 ISO Download

 

Windows 10 - Clean Install

I will work on this an thanks again.

I was going to wait for the Windows installation then clean install after but did not know how to create the media that way, so I appreciate your clearing this up.

 

P.S. I hate to pester but don't you have install Win 10 first so it knows your pc then do the clean install?

That is what is confusing me. The ISO I can handle but I thought I read somewhere that 10 must first be installed then a clean install can be done.

Yes, you must upgrade first and activate. Then you can do as many clean installs as you like.

 

This is only true if you want the free Win 10 upgrade. If you buy a copy then you can clean install right away.

OK so I will wait for the Windows upgrade and activation. Then I will use the ISO to burn a DVD to do aclean install.

TY again

No need to wait. Use the MediaCreationTool to create the ISO, then use Rufus to create a flash drive to install from, either UEFI/GPT format or BIOS/MBR format, depending on what your computer is now using. To check if you have GPT drives, do the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.3.9600

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DESKTOP

DISKPART> list disk

  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  ——–  ————-  ——-  ——-  —  —
  Disk 0    Online          232 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 1    Online         1863 GB  1024 KB        *
  Disk 2    Online         1397 GB  1024 KB
  Disk 3    No Media           0 B      0 B

Insert the flash drive and do the upgrade then make sure it's activated.

 

Boot the flash drive and do a clean install.

 

I don't see why everyone seems so hot about doing a clean install. I've updated both my laptops and my desktop and have no intention of going back and clean installing any of them. Everything is working on them so what is the point of a clean install. The only reason I can see to do this is if you are having problems.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI