This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

product keys

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I just noticed that the product key for  Win 8 Pro with Media Center is differetnt from Win 8.1 Pro with Media Cenrter.

I originally had 7 then burned the win 8 iso to get 8. Then went through the store to get 8.1. 

Can I use this new, different win 8.1 key to install  the dvd I made of the 8.1 iso?

Thank you

Peter 

Hi Peter1, notr sure if I understand you correctly but here are my thoughts on it:

 

I upgraded from Vista to 8.0 while I could still do so for £25, and it gave me a new product key (Windows 8) which I used.

 

When it came to 8.1, I downloaded the ISO and tried to install using that, but it was no good.  I'd read online tutorials on how to get it to download, which was successful, but when installing it the wizard asked for my licence key.  I typed in my W8 one, but it wouldn't take it.  I did this three or four times to be sure it wasn't down to a typo.

 

So I then used the store to download 8.1, and it gave me a new product key which I had to use.

 

So if you're upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 via the Windows Store, you should have no issues.

 

The other thing to check is whether you're legally allowed to use that key for another install on another machine … are you installing 8.1 onto another box or the same one so you get a clean install?

 

Windows 8.1 is installed as en entirely new OS by the looks of things.  If you go to Disk Cleanup afterwards and choose the option to remove previous versions of Windows, you'll see that your old Windows 8 installation can be removed (which frees up quite a lot of disk space).

 

Of course, before upgrading your OS, be sure to back all your data up so if anything does go wrong, you haven't lost anything.

 

Hope this helps!

Yes, it has been especially helpful.

I did not know that you get a new product key if you go through the store again. A very good thing to make note of.

I think you filled all the blanks in and thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI