This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 10

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I read that for those with Win 8.1, Win 10 will simply be an update. for a year.

That raises a couple of questions;

what happens after the year expires?

will we be able to burn an iso to disc for future reinstallations or will the lack of appropriate keys be a problem?

 

Hi Peter,

I can answer the first part of your question… :D

 

The offer of a free upgrade to Win 10 for owners of a valid Win 7 or Win 8x operating system is going to be open for a year, once that year is up if the upgrade hasn't taken place then the offer lapses.

 

More information and useful links from here:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=128794

 

 As to the second part of your question, I have not seen anything published about that, so I guess its a question of wait and see, and as always take early disc images once Win 10 has successfully installed and updated and keep several on external media, so at least you stand a chance should things go wrong in the future. Then take some more when all your applications have been installed and the machine is running exactly how you like it!

Regards

paws

Thank you for the information, paws.

I thought that might be the case. It sounds good to me as I always take a baseline image with my external drives then use other images to get more current. I have images of 7.8. and 8.1 right now. I also have the installation disc for 7 and 8.1 the latter being created with an iso a friend sent me. I use it to install with the generic key and validate with my key later.

I look forward to 10 as I love 8.1.

The topic was Windows 10, so I thought I would chime in with anoher question: What do you guys feel about windows 10 performance (if you have used the technical release)? I use a laptop mostly and windows 8 runs great with start8 for a substitute start menu. Im not sure if I want to upgrade just because the load on my computer seems light and it runs so smoothly.

 

This might be the first update I skip though, since I usually always have to install the latest and greatest but am not too sure my computer could take all the bells and whistles of 10.

 

 

I also wanted to add that I know there is a way to put a backup recovery image to a flash drive with all the OS files ( for refreshing windows). It was in windows 7 and 8 natively, so hopefully it will also be in 10.

I know 0 about 10.

 

I always have imaged my OS's with Macrium. I have used the native program but I find Macrium to be for me. I used to use Acronis which I guess is the best but over my head a bit  and macrium gives me what I need. I used to have Acronis until 2010 when you had to pay to continue so I drifted away.

 

Maybe someone will chime in about Win 10 and your system requirements if you state them here.

Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI