This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Dead PC

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am not sure this is the correct place to ask this question or not. My Friend has a restaurant and his computer bit the dust, Building a new one for him but the problem I have atm and did a google and it may be I not searching right for the answer. But all of the stores databack up files were saved on the desktop with other files saved on the desk top. Not sure of why they did it this way who knows why he saved the files in this manner, but the question is how or is their a way to copy all those files off that hard drive of those saved files that were store on his desktop, or is he toast and all is lost. I never had to do this and ran across a problem like this, he has some files on a usb, but the rest of the checking account data files were saved to his desktop of that dead pc. The old pc was windows xp and the new one i putting together for his is windows xp. Thanks, Jimmy
It depends on how dead that dead PC is. If me, I would pull the HD from that computer and install it in an enclosure attached to, or as a secondary (NOT boot) drive installed in another computer, then scan it for malware (probably not necessary if the computer was a stand-alone - no network/Internet access) then attempt to copy any important data.
The motherboard is shot, the hard drive is ok, i can use it as an USB drive, the thing is and a bit lost on this one in their quick books they backed up all their data to the desktop, and this is where I am not sure if I can get those files off that drive like that, why in the world would anyone back up files to their desktop is beyond me. On the new rig I am going to install their quick books, so this is why I need to get their back-up datafile off the desk top. Jimmy
The desktop is still just a folder that happens to be displayed a bit differently. So you can drill down with Windows Explorer into the HD, find the folder and copy the files.

On your machine for example, assuming your username is Jimmy, your desktop is likely located at:

C:\Users\Jimmy\Desktop

Ok, another thought to mind here, could I use the ide controller to hook that drive up as the second hard drive without formatting it, the main drive now is a sata drive and then drag what i need over to the new c:drive - sata one? Jimmy
Ok once I get the new rig up and running and all the windows updates installed, I Get back with you to let you know the out come. Many Thanks :) Jimmy
Sounds like a plan. After you physically install this drive, the first time you power up boot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu to make sure your normal boot drive is still a head of this IDE drive so you don't accidentally try to boot to it.
Well bad news the drive was working last night, now as I hook it up as a usb drive and hook power to it, does not even spin up nothing, looks like it dead as a door nail, so I assume all is lost. Only slight hope they have 1 backup on a usb drive of all their checkbooks and accounts dated dec 19,2011. Lets hope Quickbooks will pick this up and restore all their info. I assume their is no way to read a dead drive correct? Jimmy
Not even spinning up would leave me to suspect the enclosure. I would connect it directly to the power supply and see if it spins up. Or try a different drive in the enclosure and see if it works. While certainly drive motors can go bad, typically they don't go suddenly - instead they start rumbling and making noises before the bearings seize. Now in a noisy restaurant, maybe it was making noise and no heard it, or just ignored it.

Not even spinning up would leave me to suspect the enclosure. I would connect it directly to the power supply and see if it spins up.


I did, I have one of those IDE/USB kits that you use to make the drive like a usb drive and with power hooked up to it, put my ear on it nothing, DOA.

Now not sure if this could be done, someone once in town said they did so i am not sure if they were pulling my leg or not, I have another drive just like it and was thinking of swapping the circuit board off the good one to the bad one, is that possible??

Jimmy

Now not sure if this could be done, someone once in town said they did so i am not sure if they were pulling my leg or not, I have another drive just like it and was thinking of swapping the circuit board off the good one to the bad one, is that possible??

For that to work, first, it has to be the data controller board that is bad and the drive motor not spinning does not normally suggest a data controller board problem to me. The second, and most important thing about this trick is the two controller boards have to be EXACTLY the same model AND revision number AND firmware version for this to work - and that is assuming the drives are the same model and revision number from the same maker. And that is often where the problem is. Many makers produce the same drives at multiple factories. So there is a good chance if you buy two [supposedly] identical drives at the same time, one will come from Taiwan and the other from the Philippines and have different controller card revision or firmware numbers.

But still, your drive motor is not spinning - that does not normally indicate a controller card problem. If me, I would connect a power lead from your PSU to this drive and see if it spins - just to verify your IDE/USB kit is not the problem.

But still, your drive motor is not spinning - that does not normally indicate a controller card problem. If me, I would connect a power lead from your PSU to this drive and see if it spins - just to verify your IDE/USB kit is not the problem.


Did was hooked up into the machine and my kit, plus my other one and my other I have 3 kits but to make sure I hooked up another drive and using all the kits the drive spins up.

So good point on the controller board, and gave this some thought decided not worth the hassle of trying.

But some Good news all is not bad, they had a ext. usb drive hooked up and did a quickbooks back up jan 4, 2012, so I restored that info using that data, now as far as all their spread sheets and their doc's with other programs, is a lost. So in my book the main was their company info and checking account info and customer data is restored up to jan 4.

I warned them mid last year to get a usb stick to back up the excel, word and other files just in case, but failed to follow my instructions, now if they want that info real bad, going to tell them but it will cost a good bit of change, of sending that drive to a data recovery place, from what I understand it's not cheap.

Thanks bro, for the help, nothing more to do for them and they will just have to start from scratch with what was lost.

Jimmy
Okay, it seems you have done all that could be done and the drive is hosed.

I warned them mid last year to get a usb stick to back up the excel, word and other files just in case, but failed to follow my instructions, now if they want that info real bad, going to tell them but it will cost a good bit of change, of sending that drive to a data recovery place, from what I understand it's not cheap.

Yeah, forensic data recovery services can cost a bundle, into the $1000s so they will need to weigh the need with the costs.

Anyway, I am glad you got most of their data restored - hopefully they have learned their lesson and understand that ALL hard drives WILL fail - eventually.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI