Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

MS office from an external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

hey all! I need to know can I copy and paste all files related to MS Office from my internal hard drive, remove MS Office from there and use it as normal on the external hard drive, without using the install wizard and just copying and pasting all the files. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

No
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Joester

Joester

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

I really don't see why not. I have seen 2gig Windows XP based on a USB. If an OS can do it, why not MS Office? :P

#4 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

You would have to install it there.... not copy/paste it.
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

If the intention is to plug the drive into any computer and use Office, then NO you cannot, it is absolutely impossible. Even if it was technically possible, Microsoft would break it for licensing reasons. For a product the size of Office there are probably tens of thousands of changes made to the registry and system files when it is installed. The point being, Office has to be installed to function. And where the files are installed to is just one small portion of that.

Edited by appleoddity, 02 April 2011 - 08:18 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.