This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Trouble backing up files

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an external hard drive which I use to store my files on. It's had problems in the past so I bought another hard drive to use as a backup for these files. I wanted to use the briefcase feature in Windows to make a briefcase and store a copy of the files in the briefcase in my other hd and sync it as needed so that when I make changes to the original files (on my external) they will be copied to the files on my other hard drive. I tried to make a briefcase on the new hard drive and copy my files to it, but the process would not go thru (I guess because the files are so large - over a terabyte in size), so then I copied the files to the hd and tried to cut and paste them into the briefcase. When I went to update the files as they had been modified in the external original files I got no results. What am I doing wrong? Do you know how I can use the briefcase feature to do this. I really need to back up my files and want an easy way to do it successfully. Please help me out. Thanks :thumbup:

What am I doing wrong? Do you know how I can use the briefcase feature to do this. I really need to back up my files and want an easy way to do it successfully. Please help me out.


I could get into this, but the simplest solution is to just forget the briefcase. Why bother?

Just back-up your files to a good old folder. You can make it password protected if you want.

Cheers,
Lee
Hello leader2,

I have to agree with Lee, there's no point using the Briefcase feature. Both Windows XP and Windows Vista / 7 have built in backup features. Both of which are capable of backing up files periodically.

Windows XP : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s…ackupfiles.mspx

Windows Vista : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…k-up-your-files

Windows 7 : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows…k-up-your-files


I hope that helps,
Nahumi

Take a look at Windows Live Mesh, the follow-on/replacement for MS SyncToy. I've not used it but it look sinteresting.


That looks interesting. It seems to be a bit like a DropBox that's actually built straight into Windows.

I've heard rumours that Windows 8 will have a lot of cloud features, I wonder if this is one of those features.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI