Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problem with HP 3380 Laserjet Printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:29 AM

I have just connected an HP 3380 Laserjet Printer to my new Windows 8.1 computer.  However, I am having problems printing.  Whenever the machine is switched on, the display reads SCANNER BULB WARMING UP and then after about two minutes the display reads SCANNER ERROR POWER ON POWER OFF. This happens all the time.

On the odd occasion, however, the display reads READY but, when I try to print, it says CANNOT PRINT : PRINTER IN ERROR STATE.  I have been on the HP website and tried everything stated there for this type of problem, even re-installing the drivers and updating the firmware but to no avail.  What could be the problem or am I doing something wrong?  Can someone please advise.  Thanks.  

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:17 AM

Hi Mike SA,

sorry to hear of the problem printing with your laserjet 3380 on Win 8.1

Win 8.1 should be able to install the correct printer driver as long as you are connected to the Internet and keep running Windows update. ( and you don't have the lasejet set up as a network printer)

(the printer driver that win 8.1 usually installs does not provide automatically for scanning etc.,) and this may be part of the reason for the error messages you are receiving.

If running Windows Update does not do the trick for you then more drastic action may be required.

It may be necessary to uninstall all the HP printer/scanner software (using Revo uninstaller (the free version will be fine)

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Be sure to install Revo and nothing else!...

rebooting with the printer USB cable disconnected waiting for 5 minutes with the Internet connected and then plug in your USB printer cable.... If your win 8.1 system is fully updated via Windows Update and rebooted after each set of updates is installed then it likely that after plugging in your USB cable for your Laserjet 3380 (and making sure that its switched on! and fed correctly with paper!) the correct printer driver should be installed.....

Post back and let us know how you get on.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Hi Paws :  Thank you so much.  I did exactly what you advised and now the printer is working just fine.  A technician had told me that the whole scanner assembly would need to be replaced but your advice has saved me a packet.  Once again, thank you so much.  Regards.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Thats good to hear Mike.

Well done on getting it fixed

:thumbup:

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate