This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

lenovo laptops with detachable screens

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone

Happy new year to everyone here.

My brother was asking me about the Lenovo laptops with detachable touch screens, but since I'm a desktop pc person, I'm afraid I was unable to help him out, offhand.

Can anyone here tell give me any pointers on these laptops, please? Can anyone give me recommendations, or those to avoid, etc. My brother does a lot of research on family trees and at the moment uses Firefox as his main browser,
if that matters. If you need any other info, please ask.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.
hedley

Hi, and the same to you.

 

I've never dealt with such a beast yet, but IMHO I would treat it just the same as you would buying a laptop, buy the best CPU you can afford, and check out the ram, needless to say get the most you can, BUT, don't put off buying a specific model just because it has less than another model, instead before deciding, check out if it can be upgraded in that model, and to how much, also note the amount of slots, that will set out what size sticks will\could be needed, because if the slots are limited, you may have to buy sticks where each single stick would have to be of a size that can make the cost an issue.

 

Don't worry too much about storage, external storage can be bought fairly cheaply these days, look at connectivity as well, USB3 is a must IMHO, but a point I will make is about the amount of USB devices that would be connected to this, and the amount of ports available, I don't know for sure, but to air on the side of caution (unless someone has a conclusive answer\insight) would be to use an externally powered hub, as I don't know how much power it's own ports can manage, but that's only if there are a lot of devices that could be used at the same time.

 

Not sure what else to suggest, apart from the obvious check out reviews of any specific model your looking to get, and make sure there are no "known" problems starting to come to light, or any other problems that seem to affect it's performance etc., otherwise I would just treat it like a laptop, and needless to say 64bit OS, but most are these days anyway, but it is easily overlooked when looking at so many different aspects of something, hope this helps a bit anyway.

Are you talking about these: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/convertibles-splitter/ ?

 

Along with the great advice given by 8210guy, I would just like to differentiate between a dual-mode / convertible laptop and a tablet with a keyboard.  

 

When you say detachable screen, its not really clear what you are referring to.  If its a dual-mode laptop where the screen can flip over backwards or whatever and turn into a "tablet" then yeah, that's really cool and I have used them and, yeah theyr'e really cool even if they are completely useless (for me).

 

However, if its a tablet that just comes with a keyboard then you are talking a whole different beast.  You need to decide if you are buying a fancy tablet or a full blown laptop with a fancy screen.  A tablet is always going to be limited in power, storage, etc.  It may not even be running a full version of windows, or worse some version of android, etc.  

 

But yeah, I've seen and used the Yoga's and they are pretty darn slick.  

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI