This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Maxtor/Dell (G8774) 300GB 10K RPM 3.5" SAS ATLAS V Hard Drive T2-H

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Forgive my ignorance on this one, but I purchased a Maxtor/Dell (G8774) 300GB 10K RPM 3.5" SAS ATLAS V Hard Drive T2-HD7  hard drive for my Dell 760. I had assumed it was a standard SATA drive since it was pulled from a Dell 690. Unfortunately,

the SATA and power connections are different - foreign to me. Does anyone know if their is an adapter connector I could get to use with my standard SATA power and data connectors?

As best I can see you need something like an ide lead, BUT, it is a SCSI drive, and these require special cards to use them, have a search of SAS Controllers, and with luck with looking at what you have in front of you, with the details this will bring up, you will get a much better idea of what you need, but I strongly suggest asking back here linking what you thing is what you need, and if possible upload a pic of the connections at the back of your drive, and the label so I can try to ensure I get the correct manual (there are quite a few of these drives in searches), then we can and to guide more and help you get the right card for what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-18-Inch-Cable-Power-SAS729PW18/dp/B000V72AQ4

 

It allows for connections of SAS hard drives to SATA connectors on the motherboard. The motherboard controller must have support for SAS drives. This cable does not allow you to just plug any SAS drive into any SATA port and have it work.

 

more than likely your motherboard controller doesn't support the sas protocol so your going to need a sas controller board :- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=sas+controller+card&sprefix=sas+co%2Celectronics%2C317

 

 

:popcorn:

 

i believe you can connect both sata and sas drives to a sas controller and they will work but you can't connect a sas drive to a sata controller and have it work, so the linked cable is more than likely used to connect sata drives to a sas controller and not the other way around.

Thanks terry1966;

 

I'll try the connector. If my motherboard doesn't support SAS than I'll just forget it - the expense isn't worth the hassle. If I can't use it I'll have a 300GB SAS Hard Drive to give away or sell.

 

Thanks Again

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI