This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Internal SATA I to SATA II Cables

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I have an ASUS A8V-VM SE mobo, SATA I. I just bought a new internal SATA II OEM drive for it. I've been looking on the net for a SATA I to SATA II internal cable to connect it because the mobo has just SATA I ports, but I haven't been able to find one.

One time I was looking for external SATA I to SATA II cables. I thought I bought the right ones but they had clips on the ends of them and when I inserted the end of one into the drive, the clip fell off. I opened another package and before I inserted it, I looked at how it matched up with the port on the drive. With the clip on it, the connector was too wide to insert into the drive. I've had a lot of problems like this with cables. To make a long short, I have a box of cables that I can't do anything with and I don't want to add to it.

Can anyone give me an exact url for one? An 8" cable should be long enough, just to be on the safe side. If they come in different grades, I'd prefer a better grade.
I've been looking around the net for the drive that I want to buy . . . Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM. I originally thought it was a SATA II drive, the reason I asked if there was an internal SATA I to SATA II cable. My mobo is SATA I.


Some sites say that it's SATA I

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16822136284

http://www.directron.com/wd1001fals.html



and others say that it's SATA II.

http://www.pricebat.ca/Western-Digital-WD1…ual.p_10074852/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BWTQ1U?smid=A…mp;linkCode=asn



There were other sites but I thought these sites would give a good idea as to whether it's SATA I, SATA II, or can be bought as either SATA I or SATA II. However, the model number is the same for both SATA I and SATA II models.

I'd appreciate it if I could I get some opinions about it.
I think I found the answer to my questions at

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph…amp;p_topview=1

From what I understand, it's SATA II but backwards compatible to SATA I, by moving jumpers

Physical Specifications
Model Number WD1001FALS
Formatted Capacity 1 1,000,204 MB
Used Sectors Per Drive 1,953,525,169

Interface SATA 3 Gb/s (backwards compatible with Serial ATA 1.0)
Bytes Per Sector 512
Dedicated Landing Zone Yes
Actuator Latch/Auto Park Yes

1 Western Digital defines a megabyte (MB) as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte (GB) as 1,000,000,000 bytes



I can't add anymore attachments here but there's a diagram at the WD site that shows the different configurations that will make the drive perform the way it's needed for a particular type of computer.

From what I've read at other sites, it's a dual processing drive. I've never heard of that before. I believe that I would need to set up the jumpers as shown in the last configuration because I have SATA I and I don't want to set up a RAID Array. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It also gets a little tricky because the top of the diagram says:

NOTE: WD SATA drives ship from the factory with either Default 1 or Default 2 (see below) set as the standard configuration.


It also says:

Some drives may not have Legacy power connectors.


My present drive has a Legacy power connector. What would I do if it doesn't have one?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI