This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

powered esata?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys I got an Asus P5N72-T mobo with an Intel Q9300, 4Gb ram. I have 4x500Gb sata HDDs, 1 sata OCZ 60Gb Flash drive for the OS and 1 sata DVD. These occupy all my mobo sata slots. I recently bought an ao-labs 16Gb e-sata/usb thumb drive. I bought an Iogear GICe711S3 pci-e card so I can have one more internal slot and an e-sata slot for the thumb drive, but the thumb drive doesn't work on this card. I tried it on my laptop's e-sata and it works there. I tried a friends external HDD enclosure with e-sata plug on the card and that works as well, so neither of the devices is busted. Reading about the internet I figured out that I needed a powered e-sata enabled card. Any recomendations? Thank you guys
You are probably on the right track with your thinking, but you are also on the cutting edge with few available options at this time.

Since the e-sata/usb thumb drive functions correctly on the two other machines upon which you have tried it, the problem with the machine that you have described may be machine PSU power, and not the device itself.

You've got alot of stuff loaded into that machine.
Have you used a PSU calculator to determine the needs of your components vs the available power from your PSU?

Have a look here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Power_Supply…or_t106420.html
I also have a bunch of usb periferals and an XFX Nvidia 9600GT but even with all of that I still have a psu twice as powerful as that test recommended. I just wanted to know if there's a pci-e card with a powered e-sata slot. I've been looking around the internet but I can't find anything definitive. Most of the info I've found is rather ambiguous, as a matter of fact this Iogear card that I bought was supposed to be powered. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stick using the usb on my desktop for now :P
I think e-sata ports are "powered" by definition and default.
Your machine's particular port may not be receiving correct power.

You could get a PCI card e-sata port and give it a try for relatively low cost
Range is about $12- $22 US
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=…tingid=21231518
http://www.officenerds.com/product_info.ph…oducts_id=64292

or browse:
http://www.google.com/search?q=powered+esa…lient=firefox-a

Thanks for posting.
I had not previously given e-sata thumb drives a look.
Probably won't be using one myself for a while.

It's always interesting to see what the future horizon holds.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI