I'd like to buy a PC that has:
Processor: DualCore E5200
Memory: 2GB DDR2
Hard Disk: 250GB SATA
Video Card: nVIDIA GeFORCE 8400GS
What I want to know is if my old hard disks will be compatible. I have a Seagate ST3200822A-RK 200 GB ATA Internal and a WD WD2500JB-00GVA0 250GB hard disk.
Can I use them instead of the 250GB SATA they're giving me?
Thanks in advance!
well it depends. Hard disks are compatible in any computer. What matters is how they connect to your board. Looks like your current drives are ATA/IDE.?
To use a SATA drive the board would have to have a SATA connection on it.
The one you want to buy must have the SATA connections on it because it comes with a SATA HD. Newer boards may only have one single IDE channel in which case you may have no problem connecting one of your ATA drives. Normally you can get two devices on a IDE channel, but one can be occupied with a DVD/CD drive, leaving only one that another device can be attached to, like a second hard drive.
There are PCI based IDE/ATA controllers you could use. If this is a commercially purchased computer its possible there may be room constraints or adding anything may void the warranty.