Can you tell me how to tell the computer not to re-start after installing updates, i.e. let me re-start when I'm ready? I have the Windows updates set with no problem but it seems like it's primarily Java that is an issue. The last couple of updates have not given me the option to say "let me choose when to re-start". The problem is I have a couple of websites open or am downloading something and I lose it.
There could be other programs doing the same thing but Java has done it to me the last 2 updates.
The OS usually has an option to delay restarting, but you don't mention which OS your using, as the options vary a bit on how to do things, if they can be done at all, but if it's Java that is the biggest issue for you causing reboots, I suggest uninstalling it, for the most part most don't need it, and there is also the security aspect, as Java has been a great security risk for some while now (but TBH not sure if they have sorted it yet).
Another option is use a download manager, this "should" retain the download file(s), and continue getting the file if there is an interruption such as a reboot, back when all we had was a 56K connection it was the ONLY way to get files lol, but I would definitely uninstall Java regardless, hope this helps a little at least.
I also need it at times like you, and as long as you are aware of the issues around Java you can't do more, so the 1st option I can think of is to disable auto updates in Java, to do this go into the control panel, launch Java, then click on the Update tab, then remove the tick from the check box, apply and exit, that will stop the program from updating, and hopefully that will stop the immediate issue, but it goes without saying that you need to ensure you keep up to date with it.
I have seen a way to delay\disable windows 7 auto reboot, this involves editing the registry, but at this stage I am wondering if my previous suggestion sorts this for you, as it's simple to do and has no effect on anything else, but you should get the prompt for delaying a reboot if it's a windows update I would have thought, so see if this helps is my suggestion at this stage.
Should this give you what you need, then I suggest getting and running Secunia PSI if you don't already have it, brilliant program that keeps many of peoples different programs up to date, kind of a windows update for the software, as opposed for the system, it doesn't catch everything, but you can request things to be added, and the times it can't auto update a program, it will tell you what it is that needs updating, and give you a link to do so, hope this helps.
Again, thanks. I have 2 other computers on my desk all running 7. All 3 had a Java update earlier this week. 2 of them downloaded, installed but did not re-start. The 3rd one (obviously, the one I'm inquirring about) downloaded, installed but re-booted automatically. I went into Java in the control panel and all 3 have that box checked so I didn't do anything with that yet since the two DID have that box checked and didn't re-boot.
I have McAfee as my antivirus and it has a program updater that alerts me to the updates. That's how I knew about the updates. I ran all 3 but only 1 computer re-bboted so there must be something else causing it to re-boot. I have some computer knowledge after screwing around with them for 25+ years but I'm not comfortable messing with the registry by myself so I know neither of the other two have had their registries altered by me.
With Windows updates I have it set to download the updates but let me decide when to install them. After installation it asks me if I want to re-start now or later. That's where I'm trying to get to on this 3rd machine. Have no idea why the other two didn't re-start but it's what I'm after.
Right I don't think the issue is with Java or windows updates, your problem is with the program your using as an updater from what I can figure so far, presumably McAfee from what you just said ?
Can you give me a specific name for this updater ?
Been looking through McAfee and can see no mention of a program updater so far, only it's own program and definitions updating.
TBH I know nothing of McAfee, apart from it was spawn from Satan lol, anyway I have tried finding info on this, and as usual I can find little detail about it (part of why I don't like it), so I can't guide you through it's menu's, but I did find a similar issue to yours, but in their case they wanted to turn the feature off as it caused problems, but there is instruction on how to turn it off which may help.
Not because I'm saying turn it off, but my hope is that you will see some kind of option while going into the settings, that allows you to control the auto reboot option, or if you haven't changed settings previous, try resetting the defaults, BUT, if this is within the package, if you have settings in other areas that you have made, I don't know if this would reset the entire program\product, or just the bit that's causing a problem, so do think carefully before doing this, but my hope is that there will be an option to stop reboots until the system next reboots, I hope this helps.
*edit
Just found another tool that may be worth trying, it's purpose built for finding issues, and allowing you to reset things, I can't tell you what you will see, but with luck you will figure it out quickly enough.
I went through these options but didn't find anything. I don't want to waste any more of your time. I think since we've spent a little time on this I'll now remember to save anything I have before doing a Java update on that PC.
I don't see it as wasting my time, I hate being beat by silly things like this lol, but it's so hard to find clear info on McAfee stuff it makes it impossible at times to guide, not unless you actually have and use the tool anyway, but I have only 2 suggestions at this time, first is uninstall the program (assuming it can be done without causing upset to the rest of the package), then reinstall it, see if that resets whatever it is that's causing the program to do this.
Otherwise the best thing I can suggest is to contact McAfee support directly, if anyone can tell you what to do it "should" be them, the best way I have been able to find to do this is to go Here, run the scan (even if you did it prior), then supposedly you should get the option to raise a ticket, which then sends the details of this scan to them, so they can see what there is, and possibly even spot an issue straight away (one can hope lol), but unless someone with a deep working knowledge of this software knows what to suggest, this is probably your best way to go in this case, I hope you get it sorted anyway.