When I try an download updates or anything the download will start go to about 375kb then stop, Also when I try and run Java it starts but does not fully get running, Im using windows xp, I use norton and i also use Spybot - s resident any help on this would be apprecdiated
Hi kitisi, have you tried booting to Safe Mode with Networking, see if these work there? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then disable everything except your anti-virus and firewall.
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.
If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then disable everything except your anti-virus and firewall.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.
If this doesn't help, try disabling your anti-virus for just a short period to test, ditto with your firewall. It's not good to have these disabled for very long.
no i have cable it sem that every thing i try and download it starts then just freezes im going to try the thing suggested in the second post i appreciate any suggestions
Hello. It would be great and may contribute to an answer if you can answer that.
Also… a cable modem should be quite fast. It's a swift connection. What Internet browsers are you using? IE? Firefox? Opera?
Is your OS (Operating System) patched with the latest updates? Is your Java application updated? The latest version is: Version 6 Update 6 (JRE) Java Runtime Environment.
here what happened, I booted in safe mode with networking I did the msconfig thing requested checked hide all microsaft etc and turned off everything I started downloading an update it got further this time but again stopped, I tried again and saved it to a file and it worked, I rebooted with beverything turned off and tried downloading a file and it stopped at 364 kb thats the spot it usually stops around, so the problem is still here.
I am running windows xp and explorer 6.0.2900 I havve a cable modem
Im not to computer savy but could it be my memory or my hard drive is 55 gigs and i have 9.4 available? Appreciate your time
Is your system patched? Have you experienced internet slowdowns, such as in browsing speeds? So if I'm understanding this correctly, the downloading file speed has a problem. What about normal everyday speeds?
I do not think a drive capacity may be a problem. Have you defragmented your driver? Also, have you cleared the cookies, cache, and temp. files in your browser? A jammed browser with those internet "stuff" may result as a slowdown. But I'm not sure how it hinders the downloading speed.
A random download from the Web just downloads and stops? Like halts right there and freezes? Does the download window close by itself or something?
kitisi, try a different web browser, see if the same problem occurs.
Download and install FireFox, see if the same problem occurs there. I expect it will but we need to eliminate Internet Explorer as the cause of the problem.
its not the speed of the downloads what happens is it starts then at about 345 kb it just stops downloading, Is my system patched I have no idea what that is sorry
I have used cc cleaner on a regular basis to clear all that I will try and defrag it tonight i appreciate all your help
Questions asked of me
A random download from the Web just downloads and stops? YES Like halts right there and freezes? YES
Does the download window close by itself or something? No the file indiactor which shows the files going accross the top of the window continues but the files are not transfered, it never closes it just keeps showing the same thing
I was wondering if some of my ram has gone bad and is only using a portion of it again thats just a guess by me im not on top of computers Thanks again
Well, why don't you try Mozilla's Firefox 2. I don't think it is a RAM problem, because the average XP OS running with a minimal 256MB of RAM should be find. So RAM isn't the problem. And I don't see how the memory can affect the download speed.
this may be as dumb question but do i delete explorer first after or can i just turn it off and trun the other one, also I have had this computer for 4 years with the same browser but i will try that
Leave Internet Explorer asis, FireFox works just fine along side it. The reason to try FireFox is to determine if the problem is IE (your browser) or XP itself. If FF works, then it's an IE specific problem that we can focus on.
Technically, you "can" delete Internet Explorer or remove it, but it'll take more work than the average uninstall. It is not as simple as it looks. You can have more than one browser on your computer. It won't conflict.
The dumb question is the one not asked.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI