This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Very Puzzling Problem

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm having issues with my computer restarting itself after I log in. However, I noticed that sometimes it just reboots itself if I leave it alone, even if I don't log into my account. This issue started when I allowed what I think is a Java update, but I'm worried it could have been some kind of worm. I get the blue screen of death when I try to use safe mode too and I'm not quite sure what to do as I can't access any files or programs. I've seen some similar posts on help forums and some people think it's a hardware issue or something to do with windows, but everything was fine until I hit yes after the "java" update.
Hi alrt, welcome to the forum.


To make cleaning this machine easier
  • Please do not uninstall/install any programs unless asked to
    It is more difficult when files/programs are appearing in/disappearing from the logs.
  • Please do not run any scans other than those requested
  • Please follow all instructions in the order posted
  • All logs/reports, etc.. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In notepad click format, uncheck word wrap if it is checked.
  • Do not attach any logs/reports, etc.. unless specifically requested to do so.
  • If you have problems with or do not understand the instructions, Please ask before continuing.
  • Please stay with this thread until given the All Clear. A absence of symptoms does not mean a clean machine.



  • Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Under Custom Scan paste this in

    netsvcs
    drivers32
    /md5start
    winlogon.*
    /md5stop
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.com
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini2
    %systemroot%\Fonts\*.exe
    %systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.*
    %systemroot%\REPAIR\*.bak1
    %systemroot%\REPAIR\*.ini
    %systemroot%\system32\*.jpg
    %systemroot%\*.jpg
    %systemroot%\*.png
    %systemroot%\*.scr
    %systemroot%\*._sy
    %APPDATA%\Adobe\Update\*.*
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Favorites\*.*
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\*.*
    %PROGRAMFILES%\*.*
    %APPDATA%\Update\*.*
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %PROGRAMFILES%\bak. /s
    %systemroot%\system32\bak. /s
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\*.lnk /s
    %systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\*.dat /s
    %systemroot%\*.config
    %systemroot%\system32\*.db
    %PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\*.dat
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\*.lnk /s
    %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\*.exe
    %PROGRAMFILES%\Common Files\*.*
    %systemroot%\*.src
    %systemroot%\install\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\DLL\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\HelpFiles\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\rundll\*.*
    %systemroot%\winn32\*.*
    %systemroot%\Java\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\test\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\Rundll32\*.*
    %systemroot%\AppPatch\Custom\*.*
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs

  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.
  • You may need two posts to fit them both in.
Go HERE to get a randomly named copy of GMER. Scroll down to the Download section and click Download EXE. Save it to your desktop.

Before scanning with GMER, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while the scan is being performed. Do not use your computer for anything else during the scan.

  • Double click on the file you downloaded. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it

  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in your next reply.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries


Please post back with
  • both OTL log
  • GMER log

Thanks
Hello, Thanks for the prompt reply. I actually cannot access my desktop because my computer restarts about 10 seconds after I log on to my account. Also, I tried to do a system restore to a time when I did not have this issue, but it did not help. I assume that means that this is not a malware issue and I should contact support for my laptop? I have a Sony Vaio EA series, fyi.
I contacted Sony Vaio and they said that I will have to clear my computer back to the factory default mode. I don't want to do that yet because then I'll have to find someone to back up all my files. Sony made me do a check up on the CPU and hard disk, but no errors were found. Any helpful advice? I'm pretty much at a loss!
Hi alrt,

Did you try Last Known Good Configuration?

  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
  • Use the arrow key to select Last Known Good Configuration, then press "Enter".

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI