This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Window Upgrade XP to Win 7 or 8 Pro ...

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dear Person;….

I haven't been here in a coons age !!!
Thanks to ALL the GREAT advice I got here from the SUPER Techs here , my computer has been working GREAT… :clap: 
However , I'm still using Windows XP Pro SP3 with IE8 & am FINALLY ready to move on up…
I am TOTALLY confused about which Windows , 7 or 8 ,  would be best for me & the internet that I'm familiar with using XP…
(Heard too much negative about 8.1 , so I'm hesitant to get 8.1)
I'm also spooked by the pirated versions out there & do NOT want to fall into that trap..
What I'd like from the GREAT techs here is advice on WHERE to get a CHEAP LEGITIMATE installation CD of Windows 7 or 8 Pro that is not going to rape my wallet OR won't register with Micrsoft…
I'm 73 & not a computer genious…
To sumerize;=>…
Which do you think is best , 7 or 8…
Which is easier to use by someone like myself that is set in his ways with XP , 7 or 8 ???
How do I prevent myself from buying a counterfiet version that will not register with MS ???
Where can I buy a LEGIT CD REASONABLY priced ???

I have seen Win 8 CDs for &139.98 here;=>…
http://www.ivmshop.com/Microsoft-Windows-8-Pro-32Bit_p_386.html


But they say this;=>..

 

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 32Bit
This product is OEM Software. OEM software cannot be used as an upgrade; any previous or trial versions of the software must be uninstalled before installing an OEM. The packaging is installation CD & Product Key/Serial Number, no box. OEM Software does not come with installation support from the manufacturer


So that part has me TOTALLY confused…
I would like a CD that will give me a NEW install & I will remove XP…
IF Win 8 is best for me…
Also , have read reports that the upgrade to 8.1 has problems …

Walmart;..
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Windows-8-Pro/21958059

Windows 8 Pro…$177.78…OUCH….TOOO MUCH !!!


Have fun with this one guys & gals…

THANKS VERRRY much in advance for your anticipated help & advice….. :yeah: …


Sincerely….

 
Ron.M.. B) 

Ron, another choice might be to go with the Windows 10 Technical Preview for now instead of 7 or 8. It's more XP/2000/7 like that 8 is. I'm running  it in two virtual machines, one under Oracle VirtualBox and the other under Microsoft's Hyper-V. I've also installed it as the only OS on my old Acer laptop (1.6Ghz, 2GB) and it runs pretty darn good.

 

The Windows 10 Tech Preview is good until April of 2015 when the full retail version will be released.

 

It's also FREE!!!

 

This is what my Desktop looks like after installing under Hyper-V:

 

📎W10TPHyperV.jpg

 

As you can see, the Start Menu is a combination of the old style and the newer Modern. You can remove all the Modern stuff if you want.

 

Make sure whatever you do that you create an image backup of your existing XP installation.

You also need to make sure your hardware can handle Windows 8.1 or 10. It must have PAE/NX support.

 

See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-vista-xp-tutorial

Ztruker;….

1st off;..
THANK you VERRRY much for the informative reply…

I now have some more complications…
1)…
The link for "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant" that you gave after downloading & running says;=>.."This platform not supported" when I try to use it…
I have an older version that I ran..
Went & clicked on the "enterprise edition"..
I could not find a download for that program…

EDIT:…
I DID finally find the file for the "enterprise edition"..
But , it is 2.93 GB !!!!
Since I'm on slow dial-up , it'll probably take me YEARS to download !!!
End EDIT…

I ran the older version of "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant" ….
Results are;=>..
1)..
Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.

Never heard of "Secure Boot" …
May be able to get by without it ???

2)…
Your screen resolution doesn't meet the requirement to install apps from the Windows Store
You need a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768 to install and use apps from the Windows Store (this includes apps that might be pre-installed on your PC). You might be able to change your resolution in the Display Control Panel.

My monitor DOES go to 1600 X 1200 but was NOT set at that when I ran the test..

3)…
Windows Media Technologies & Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family are NOT compatible….


Don't know if that is the kiss of death for this endeaver ???

ALL other programs etc are either OK or can be updated for the new OS..

Soooo , where do I/we go from here ???


Later…Ron.M…

Secure boot is not a problem.

 

This could be a problem:

 

Windows Media Technologies & Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family are NOT compatible….

 

I believe it will not support the required ActiveX level Windows 8/8.1/10 needs. Not sure about Windows 7. Try running Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor too. You may have the same problem with Windows 7 unfortunately.

 

Sounds like your best bet is to purchase a new computer which will come with Windows 8.1.

 

Do you have a friend or relative who could download Windows 10 for you?



Please disregard this post…
Made error & got a GIGANTIC mess…
Will try again tomorrow when I chill out !!!
Sorry 'bout dat !!!

Later…Ron.M…

Ztruker;…

Trying to copy & paste here IS A NIGHTMARE !!!!
Gave up since the post looked like feces & it would NOT accept paste properly….
Also , adding files took awhile thru trial & error , I FINALLY got one that this %$#@!! format likes…
I SINCERELY hope you & others can open it & read it…
Otherwise , I give up…
Basicaly it boils down that Win7 is worse than Win8 for my computer…
IF you are successful & read the attachment , please let me know what's up…
THANK you VERY much…

Sincerely…
Ron.M…

 

Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface.

 

Not a significant problem. You just will not be able to use/see the Aero Glass interface which is one of the nice parts of Windows 7 (gone in Windows 8 and 10), but you can still run Windows 7.

 

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

We don't have compatibility information about this device.

 

Doesn't mean it's not supported. I'm sure it will work fine with 7 and 8.

 

Same with these, will most likely work okay.

 

Lexmark 730 Series

Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

 

If there is not a Windows 7 or 8 driver, see if there is a Vista driver as that may work okay.

 

Only way to know for sure is to try it. Make sure you do a full image backup before you do this so if things go bad you have an easy way to recover.

Windows Media Technologies - A collective term for Microsoft's streaming audio and video technologies.

 

As I said previously.

I believe it will not support the required Active X level Windows 8/8.1/10 needs. Not sure about Windows 7.

 

 

This was inaccurate. I should have said Direct X, not Active X.

Apparently true for Windows 7 as well though.

 

I like your plan for trying 7, 8 or 10 though. Definitely the way to go.

Ztruker;…

Some questions;…


 

 

Windows Media Technologies - A collective term for Microsoft's streaming audio and video technologies.

This was inaccurate. I should have said Direct X, not Active X.

Apparently true for Windows 7 as well though.

 



So , what is the bottom line ???
Does that mean that I can or can not use Win7 &/or Win8 ???
Does that mean that IF I can use either , I can or can not play movies & videos ???
Does that have anything to do with or is it similar to Windows Media Player ???
IF it involves Windows Media Player in any way , so be it…
I hardly ever use it..
 

Based on your new reply , will either Win7 OR Win8 work without major glitches ???

 

THANKS… :thumbup:   …

 

Later..Ron.M…. B)   …..

 

Ron, I don't know. WMP is part of Windows Media Technologies, yes. Other than that I just don't know. That's why I suggest trying Windows 10 first, since it's free. If it works then Windows 8 and or Windows 7 will work as well. If not you have not wasted any money.

Ztruker;….

I don't know anybody that would be willing to download a 2.93 GB file for me ….
Any way to get that on a CD or is it only available on download ???..
So , it's either wait till Apr , 2015 & hope that Win 10 is cheap (YUP , that's a stupid idea!!) , or try Win7 or Win8..

I did find a Win7 CD for $65.00 here:=>..
http://www.sidemicro.com/software/
Have NO idea how reputable they are…
So I'm on the fence about that one…

THANK you VERY , VERY much for ALL your help… :thumbup: ….
It IS appreciated !!!!… :clap: ….

Have a GREAT day & week…


Later…Ron.M… B) …..

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI