This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Ways and means of moving up to Win 7

22 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

Thought I'd better start a clean thread on this.

From what I see in another thread, I'll be happiest moving from XP to 7, not 8.  And I guess wait for Threshold, or whatever.  Personally, I'd be happy enough to stay w/XP, but noooooooooo…….

 

Gotta do this on two computers, Dells, Vostro 200 and 400.

 

And I see you can't just put the disk in the slot and click on "Upgrade."  It's essentially a wipe-and-reinstall deal.  I've done that, arrghhh.  We have online backup services working, and have reinstalled from those, too.  Not really clear on whether any of the programs backup.  Got most of what I need to reinstall.

 

Now, then…

>Do I basically want to get the OS(es) and install on current computers, or get new HDs w/7 installed, or get new computers?

[This is not a high moment in our exchequer: money is an object].

 

>If we get the OSes…what do we get?  Can we presumably get an upgrade and depend on our (presumed) XP licenses (where do I locate that?).   Or gotta buy the OS w/license (2X).

 

I'll see if I can suss out what's under the hoods here.

OK, mine (the 200) sez

Intel Pentium dual CPU

E2180 @ 2GHz

2GHz, 1 GB RAM

I also see some kind of reg number there.  Would that be the license?

I think it's got a 250GB WD HD, plus a second one.  SATA?

 

My wife's computer (400) is presumably a little better on specs.

 

Sure, I'd like my computer to go like lightning (bad simile to use?), and to handle more at once; but maybe a luxury for later. 

 

This enough info for a meaningful answer/opinion?

 

Thanx,

denno

 

You are quite correct in making the move from xp now, as end of life approaches it will no longer have security holes patched etc, many like yourself have a hard time with this, it has been a solid workhorse and known and understood by nearly all for years, but now is the time to take a massive step forward without question, BUT, have no doubts you are in for a learning curve with Win 7, and an even steeper curve with Win 8.1 (forget Win 8), they have different presentations than xp users are used too.

 

The first thing to do is check if your hardware can handle the newer OS's, check Win 7 Here, and Win 8.1 Here, a major point to consider is ram, these newer systems run much smoother with larger amounts of ram, the standard these day's is probably 4gig + of ram, although they say it can run on much less, you will appreciate the difference it can make, and to this end, you will need a 64bit OS to fully utilise 4gig or higher, and my fear is your hardware may not be able to handle a 64bit OS, so this needs careful consideration.

 

I fear your best option will be to buy a new system, it will be fully capable of handling the new OS and make a massive difference to your user experience, you will wonder how you managed to get by for so long without once you feel the power they have, you can of course build your own system, you can buy "pre built systems" (just motherboard, ram, CPU and heatsink) these days, where all you have to do is swap out your old motherboard (complete as is), and put in the new one, connecting the case wires will be the most technical thing you need to do, your drives will be fine to use generally speaking, but you will need to calculate the cost of the pre built board\system and the cost of the new OS, to that of a complete system.

 

My best advice is go for Win 8.1 (pro if you can afford it), it is far superior to the original Win 8, which I would not of touched with a barge pole lol, but make no bones about it you will be in for a major learning curve, BUT, once you actually get used to the concept of using the corners to maneuver about the different screens, it becomes a lot easier, and it is the wisest choice in upgrading, because it will last you much longer than Win 7, as that is already several (4 possibly ?) years old I believe lol, so it makes the wisest investment, but you will be in for a new experience compared to xp.

 

Now programs you simply need to look at what you use, and see if they have a version for the newer OS, if they do then it's all good, if not then you will need to find an alternate one, the physical files will be fine, that is as long as they are saved in a format that can be accessed by the newer program(s), so if you have a specific program, that saves in it's own specific file extension, as opposed to a generic one used by numerous software makers, if you have files with specific extensions, then there is a high probability of not being able to use\access those on the new system.

 

This will be a major jump for you, and all this gives you many major factors to consider, what may help you is if you can go to a store where you can get hands on and use a demo system to get a feel for the new OS's, and if an assistant can help show you around Win 8.1 then it will help you a lot in your choice, sorry to throw so much at you, but as you can see there are many things to take into account, hope this helps get you started at least.

I suggest one small change to 8210GUY's suggestions. Go with Windows 8.0 instead of 8.1. Then if you want, you can upgrade to 8.1 for free. The advantage is you have legal rights to use which ever one you want. I'm going to hold off and see what 8.2 offers since it's supposed to be available in April or May of this year.

 

You also should add more memory, 2GB as a minimum, though 4GB would be better.

 

I'm using 8.0 on my new Lenovo IdeaCenter K450 and like it. I won't be upgrading to 8.1 as I see nothing there I need or want. I do not use the new Metro Desktop at all. I've installed Stardock's Start8 ($4.99) to give me a Start button like XP, Vista and Windows 7 had. I boot directly to the Desktop and never even see the Metro iPhone interface.

 

I also use Quick Launch like XP had and have installed the Windows 7 Gadgets as I like the Weather gadget.

 

I run Windows XP Pro as a Virtual Client under Oracle VirtualBox. It boots in 3 seconds or so and runs on the desktop in a window like any other application.

 

 

This is what my Desktop looks like with XP running in a window.

 

📎Desktop.jpg

Hmm.  First, I misread that as…you have legal rights to sue which ever one you want

Which seemed unpromising.

 

Thanks, y'all, for remarks.  Seems to cover the subject.  I especially like that apparently one can to maybe a great degree use an XP interface within 8.  I'm such a stick-in-the-mud.  First, I'd waste a week or three being irritated that they were fixing something I didn't consider broke.  (I grumbled a lot when I had to abandon 3.1).  That's before the learning curve.  My wife, on the other hand, got herself a tablet and is having fun with it.  (I'd just rather have a whole laptop).

 

For the budget, can you lay out the CHEAPEST way to get the problem solved for the time being?

We're just not in position to buy new computers for a couple grand, and then another couple in software upgrades.  As I said, a luxury for later.

 

At least my computer Vostro 200 is 32-bit, so no-go on 8.

 

Maybe the minimum requirements for CPU, or whatever.  I get the 4 or more GB RAM, and 64-bit for 8.  Seems there's a 32-bit 7.

 

I don't know about my swapping out the CPU (probably more like the motherboard entirely, huh?)  I can add what—one more GB of RAM = 2GB total in 32-bit?

 

Maybe the question is, what is a cheap but serviceable computer that can handle 7?

Heck—should we go to Mac or Linux or something I've never heard of?

Or you got better ideas?

 

Thanks for listening to all this twisting, if you are!  Trying to find out what the parameters are and then cut the mustard.

 

many thanks again

denno

TBH your system is best off retired, and maybe kept offline to run software you can't be without, but you give no budget, so we have nothing to work too, but as you know the lower the budget the harder it is to get something that would be the best deal, there are plenty of "cheap" options around, but all bets are off with them, they are at a higher risk of failing at some point than one using better quality parts, but that said some people never seem to have a problem with them, so please keep this in mind when choosing.

 

The problem with your system is not knowing the case, Dell often use boards specifically designed to fit in a different way to other boards, thus ensuring a persons chance of upgrading is seriously reduced, and the cynic in me thinks they do this on purpose to make users buy new again from them.

 

So the best way is to start from scratch, Here is a complete system, very reasonable spec for under $300 (after rebate), and fully capable of taking advantage of the Win 8\8.1 configuration to maximise it's performance, only thing I can't be sure of is if this is pre assembled or not, but if it saves you money then don't let building it yourself put you off (assuming that is the case), we will walk you through it.

 

If you really need to hit bargain basement then This is a starting point, but I would not get this specific kit personally, but it gives an idea of what I said above about replacing the main board complete with everything, again I am unsure if this is pre built or not, in the UK you can buy this pre built, which is ideal for those unsure what to do, if you get lucky this "may" fit your current case, but IF it fit's, the PSU has to be powerful enough to run this set up, if it is not then you could damage\kill the entire lot, PSU as well (absolute worst case that is).

 

Should your case and\or PSU not be up for the job, you would need a case AND PSU, but buying a cheap PSU can put the entire system at risk, so it is a hard choice, the full package would be a great choice if you could manage it, see what you think, but wait for further input before buying to be safe.

the cynic in me thinks they do this on purpose to make users buy new again from them

What???  NOOOO!

 

"If the question is 'why,' the answer is always 'money.'"

—-Spider Robinson, quoting Robert Heinlein, quoting, probably, Ug the caveman.

 

 

Thanks.  I'm going to do some perusing, starting with your link above.  Building a machine would be fun….with guidance!

I may be silent awhile, but not too very long.  April is a-comin'.

 

If you want to close this thread I'll start anew when I have a plan or more questions toward getting one.

 

Oh—two questions, then.  How do I find out what my case is?  Or is that trial-and-error?

And how the heck do you quote part of someone's post.  Something I have never figured out on any forum.

 

denno

 

At least my computer Vostro 200 is 32-bit, so no-go on 8.

 

Maybe the minimum requirements for CPU, or whatever.  I get the 4 or more GB RAM, and 64-bit for 8.  Seems there's a 32-bit 7.

 

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 will run just fine on a 32 bit hardware. That does limit you to a max of 4GB of ram though.

 

A copy of 7, 8 or 8.1 will run you around $100 or more so take that into consideration when deciding between upgrade or new computer. I'd go for the OEM System Builder version of whatever one you decide on. They are tied to the computer you install them on and cannot be moved to anothr computer but are considerably cheaper.

 

Also, you have 1GB of ram and the max for your computer is 4GB. You could add 3x1GB for a total of 4GB for $50 or less, so your talking $150 to 180 for the Operating System and Memory. That's half way to a new computer.

 

Definitely run the Windows 7 and 8 upgrade advisers 8210GUY provided.

You case is a Dell Vostro case, slimline or mini. Not sure what you are asking other than that.

 

To quote part of a post, I just select the part I want to quote then use the Quote icon above the text input area and then paste the copied text there. Unfortunately, the quote button quotes the entire post. It does not recognize that you have something selected.


 

And how the heck do you quote part of someone's post.  Something I have never figured out on any forum.

 

denno

 

In simple terms just quote away and physically edit the quote by deleting the part(s) you do not want, thus leaving just the part you want.

 

Now the case, it will be hit and miss unless you know specifically if it uses non standard fixing points, Dell have a nasty habit of doing this, so all you can do is offer a new board next to the existing, and check if the holes for fixing are in the same positions, if they are then it's likely to be standardised points, if they are different, then a standard board will probably not fit.

 

The first important thing when putting a new board in is to ensure the screw holes match EXACTLY where the standoff's (the hexagonal brass fixing points screwed into the case), otherwise they will sit on the PCB and short the board put, possibly causing damage to it, so if these points don't match up then do not use that case, not unless they can be removed from the case, and put where they are needed, as most boards seem to use 9 screws to fix, but there may be exceptions as well.

 

No need to close the thread, you can bump this up again when your ready with more questions, but I don't know the best places you have there, but using the examples above, see what catches your eye, then go from there, just remember when using options covered so far, you will also need to buy the OS, so remember that when choosing which way you go, but building your own means you have the power to choose the better components, but costs can rise rapidly if you want better components, hope this all gets you started on your quest.

LOL my slow typing again. 

 

You case is a Dell Vostro case, slimline or mini. Not sure what you are asking other than that.

I have seen Dell use non standard fixing points for their cases and boards, so when you try to fit a standard board the fixings will not be in the correct position, and will stop you from using the case with any other board.

 

and will stop you from using the case with any other board.

OK, that sort of works.

I yam shocked SHOCKED I say and aggrieved too over Dell's behavyoor.

 

OK, I got mixed up then on RAM amounts and 32-bit. 

Got enuf options from y'all to make my head swim.  I will parse through them.

 

denno

Good luck! I went through this recently, trying to decide what I wanted to do. Build my own, have one built or buy a brand name. Ended up with the Lenovo IdeaCenter K450. It is a fantastic machine.

 

Intel 4th Gen I7 CPU

16GB Ram (max 32GB)

2TB hard drive

 

I added my old 128GB SSD, my old 1.5TB drive and it is very, very fast.

 

Speed is addictive!

Well to help ease your headache, and give you a bit of clarity, the best way to go is 64bit without a doubt, it allows the use of 4gig + of ram, so even if you can't afford enough ram now to really see this benefit, still go 64bit then you can add more ram at any future point when you are better placed, but 4gig of DDR3 ram (the current format in new(er) systems) is pretty cheap compared to what it used to cost.

 

But also make sure the motherboard has 4 slots for ram, anything less and ram gets more expensive as your forced to use much bigger sticks to achieve the same end result, but once you get your head round this, come back with any further questions and we will do what we can for you.

Well, that Lenovo system is very attractive.  REALLY don't know what we are going to be able to afford by Abandonment Day.

So, anyhow, a passing question.  I see the K450 @ $650, maybe plus shipping and tax.  Also see them on eBay, factory remans, $500 incl shipping.

 

Do I want anything to do with a remanufactured computer?  I assume not, on principle, but what actually fails/wears out, or whatever, and has to be "remanufactured?"

 

STILL doubting we can afford a grand at this time, so I will be perusing all the suggestions here and see what the minimum price of some system or other might be…..or whether our current machines w/more RAM and maybe a fresh HD could do it. 
2XWin7, ?$130, 2XHD ?100, 6X1GB ?$180 = $410.  That would be a solution.

'Course, could probably wipe and reload our HDs, download our files from online backup, reinstall programs, save another C-note at the expense of a week's work and waiting.  Ack.

Gotta re-read your posts.

 

Oh, golly, that suggests another question.  Can one install a hard drive with the new OS, and run programs off the old HD, also still in the computer?  [Or migrate the old contents to the new HD, including programs?]

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI