This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

which one is best Windows XP or Windows 7?

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

There is no clear answer, as it's down to the individuals needs and equipment for the most accurate answer, what may be true for one may not be for another, but that all said Windows 7 is the way to go, mainly because xp support will be ending soon(ish) which means security holes found from then will remain as no patches will be released to close them, so it's a no brainer really.
To me, it is very clear. XP was designed more than 10 years ago to support DOS era hardware and software from more than 20 years ago. And XP was designed when the Internet was still in its infancy, when Internet security was an afterthought as bad guys had not yet discovered how lucrative it was. About the only way to get infected was from booting from a floppy disk someone left in the drive - that is, via "sneakernet". Microsoft, fearing a backlash, bowed to the demands of its massive corporate user-base and weighed legacy hardware and software support over security with XP. Note that Microsoft was bashed for lack of security relentlessly for the next 10 years.

Windows 7 was designed with security first, legacy support second. Windows 7 was designed to support current and future hardware and software. For those reasons, the answer is clear - Windows 7 is by far, a much superior OS and XP. Even though MS bashers and the biased IT media now bash MS for not supporting legacy hardware and software, MS made the right choice. If Windows 7 does not support your legacy hardware or software, it is time to upgrade that old stuff and get with the times - for security's sake, if nothing else.

To me, it is very clear. XP was designed more than 10 years ago to support DOS era hardware and software from more than 20 years ago. And XP was designed when the Internet was still in its infancy, when Internet security was an afterthought as bad guys had not yet discovered how lucrative it was. About the only way to get infected was from booting from a floppy disk someone left in the drive - that is, via "sneakernet". Microsoft, fearing a backlash, bowed to the demands of its massive corporate user-base and weighed legacy hardware and software support over security with XP. Note that Microsoft was bashed for lack of security relentlessly for the next 10 years.

Windows 7 was designed with security first, legacy support second. Windows 7 was designed to support current and future hardware and software. For those reasons, the answer is clear - Windows 7 is by far, a much superior OS and XP. Even though MS bashers and the biased IT media now bash MS for not supporting legacy hardware and software, MS made the right choice. If Windows 7 does not support your legacy hardware or software, it is time to upgrade that old stuff and get with the times - for security's sake, if nothing else.


Agreed Windows 7 is the way to go, I for one still hanging on to XP because of a old program I use does not run in 7. 7 is on my labtop I use and the xp is for my shop, but I am in the process of builing a newer pc quad core, 6 gigs ram, tb hd and so forth will have Win 7 64 0n it.

As Digerati said, lack of support, lack of patches and not able to support newer devices out their, 7 is the only way to fly.

Just my 2 cents

Jimbo1

but I am in the process of builing a newer pc quad core, 6 gigs ram, tb hd and so forth will have Win 7 64 0n it.

Sounds good! You might consider a 64Gb SSD for your boot drive. It will easily hold Windows and all your HW drivers.

but I am in the process of builing a newer pc quad core, 6 gigs ram, tb hd and so forth will have Win 7 64 0n it.

Sounds good! You might consider a 64Gb SSD for your boot drive. It will easily hold Windows and all your HW drivers.


I imagine we'll all be using SSD's soon (in the next couple years ? sooner?)

Digerati, Are you presently using SSD for your Boot Drive? For other Drives?
Any comments on performance benefit?

Note: I realize my question is off-topic and may better deserve a topic of its own.
Apologies to Josephjackson

but I am in the process of builing a newer pc quad core, 6 gigs ram, tb hd and so forth will have Win 7 64 0n it.

Sounds good! You might consider a 64Gb SSD for your boot drive. It will easily hold Windows and all your HW drivers.


I imagine we'll all be using SSD's soon (in the next couple years ? sooner?)

Digerati, Are you presently using SSD for your Boot Drive? For other Drives?
Any comments on performance benefit?

Note: I realize my question is off-topic and may better deserve a topic of its own.
Apologies to Josephjackson


Aye awaiting an aswer for this, was not thinking of it atm.
I'll be doing something like this next upgrade. SSD storage and write capacities will have improved and they will be cheap as chips by then.
[attachment removed]

A great SSD/HDD set-up walkthrough.

The point of this to have a primary SSD and secondary hard disc to hold all the big info. benefiting from the fast seek times a SSD has to offer.


http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-se…-secondary.html


Cheers,
Lee
I have a 64Gb SSD but have not swapped out my boot drive - yet. But I have built a couple systems with SSDs on the boot drive, and just recently installed one in a client's computer. The improvement was significant. Booting from a cold start took about 45 seconds and the Windows Experience Index for primary hard disk went from 5.9 (which is tops for a 7200RPM hard disk) to 7.7 which is .2 below the best you can get in that category. However, once the computer was fully loaded, doing things like surfing the Internet did not seem any quicker. But I note these were all decent i7 systems with at least 6Gb of RAM too.
I wonder if with these small(ish) sized SSD's, if there is going to be a critical factor of keeping more FREE Space? Most certainly, it will be important to install applications onto separate drives.

I have a 64Gb SSD but have not swapped out my boot drive - yet. But I have built a couple systems with SSDs on the boot drive, and just recently installed one in a client's computer. The improvement was significant. Booting from a cold start took about 45 seconds and the Windows Experience Index for primary hard disk went from 5.9 (which is tops for a 7200RPM hard disk) to 7.7 which is .2 below the best you can get in that category.

However, once the computer was fully loaded, doing things like surfing the Internet did not seem any quicker. But I note these were all decent i7 systems with at least 6Gb of RAM too.



So I take it your thoughts are this, use a SSD drive for the os, and then another dive for the data and programs? I had not done much readding on the SSD's the pros vers the cons?

I wonder if with these small(ish) sized SSD's, if there is going to be a critical factor of keeping more FREE Space?

Most certainly, it will be important to install applications onto separate drives.

Well, for years for my own computers that have single drives, I have always had 3 partitions, a small one for C that held the OS and HW drivers. D that took up all the rest for all my data and applications and a tiny E for the page file. On this 1Tb drive, for example, It is 50Gb for C and only 22Gb is used. D is 880Gb and E is 6Gb.

So I take it your thoughts are this, use a SSD drive for the os, and then another dive for the data and programs? I had not done much readding on the SSD's the pros vers the cons?

Until the price of SSDs comes down to the price of standard HDs, yes. If you can afford a bigger SSD, put everything you load at boot on it - like your security apps. If bigger still, Office and your other favorite apps.

Right now 1Tb SSD SATAII drive is over $3000 - I can't justify that.
Right now 1Tb SSD SATAII drive is over $3000 - I can't justify that. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :smack: :smack: :smack: Holy Cow Hummm going have to think on that one, heck quad core pc, 6 gigs ram 64 bit os, sata drive, makes me think I should not have an issue with speed or performance.
One of my friend is using windows 7. And its really awesome. But don't know much more about it. I have been using windows XP service pack 2 for a long time and its really very user friendly I think. I used vista, Linex as well but among all I find XP is very easy to handle. what do you think????

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI