This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

error codes

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello
Wen I try to update Defender in Win 8.1, and since the last Windows updates, I get error code 0x80290016 on both the laptop and desktop.
The desktop seems to have fixed itself but now the laptop gets the error code the same as above but the last digit is 2 instead of 6.
 
I have an image that predates the updates and would use it if the updates have been fixed but I do not know how to find that out.
If there is a better way that would be great.
Could you please advise.
Thank you
Peter

I had not thought of it that way; many times we just update MBAM, Defender(real time protection) and Spyware Blaster to be current for the day.

 

However, we have never had an error message like this before and on both pcs..

I was told Windows last batch of updates caused some issues this being one and hopefully a patch will be released.

 

I will stop manually updating and see if it works itself out although I have been told, as I said, it is a registry issue.

 

As usual, I will report back. R- see pm

As with the desktop which seems ok, I ran the trouble shooter and it repaired 1 corrupted file in the database and one with a component. The desktop did the same thing.

The laptop Defender is now working with manual updates.

Tomorrow with a fresh cold boot, I will be able to tell if this has resolved the problem, or not, as this is when it occurs.

The desktop seems OK, except that i still cannot view update history unless I go to the bottom of the page which was not the case before the updates.

 

The laptop still gave an error that 2 things were running yesterday, when I clicked to update Defender.

 

Today I looked at task manager before I clicked defender and PC settings was running. When I stopped the task, defender updated normally.

I will have to wait till tomorrow b/c this only happens first boot of the day.

 

I don't know if it is better to image back or wait till next week to see if MS fixes the problems with the last update. Some people had awful trouble.

 

 

 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI