This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 7 won't connect to Windows Update/Update Windows Defender

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys,

When I try to update my laptop using Windows Update I get Error Code 80072EFD (yes, I have consulted MS's useless troubleshooter). Beacuse of this my laptop's most recent updates were in March i.e. when it left the factory. Otherwise the internet connectivity is fine.

How do I get it to update?!
One solution for Vista that might work:

1. Click the "Start" Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
2. Right-click “Command Prompt” Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Type "netsh winhttp reset proxy" (without quotes) at the command prompt, and press Enter.
4. Try the update again.

Another possibility is that you've picked up some kind of malware. See 2nd post in this thread: Windows Update error code 80072efd

Google came up with a lot more possibilities, but the above two seemed the most prevalent: Windows Update Error Code 80072EFD windows 7

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI