This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Defender help

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was reading about a product that does not need installation and sounds good but I have had no experience with it.

 

Has anyone heard of or used Emsisoft Emegency Kit?

 

It reads well but before I download it I would like to know if it is a good idea.

 

I supplemented Defender with SpywareBlaster and MBAM and have a router but this seemed not to be overkill as it is not installed.

 

Defender did score quite low on all the tests I have been reading so I wondered if this extra layer might be advisable.

TBH this kit is as it says it is, for emergency's, in simple terms if you can't boot, or are unable to run scans I the Windows environment, then you can put this onto a thumb drive, and use it to scan a system in dos mode for want of a better description if you can't do anything, or it can be run from the thumb drive in Windows if you are unable to install or scan with your usual tools, so this tool is not intended for daily use as such, but it wouldn't do any damage as such.

 

Their other product (Emsisoft Anti-Malware) is the tool for daily\regular use as such, but I do not like the way they present it to the user, as I'm sure it tantamount to a scare tactic to make users buy it, which unfortunately is the way many malware infections present themselves, because it starts out as a free trial of the full version, but can then be run as a free on demand scanner after the trial is over.

 

That's the point where they play dirty IMHO, there is so much red and a notice warning you that your not protected, it would make the unsuspecting panic and think they have to buy it, now I have used it for many years from way back when it was ASquared, and I know they have made the print about the free option at the end of the trial smaller, and I know it is still free, BUT, even I still struggle to see through all the red and warning used, and I know about it, so who knows what others would make of it, and tactics like that make me loose ALL trust in their business practice, which is a shame as I always saw it as a good tool.

 

So long story short, that kit is for use when nothing else works so to speak, the full software with the current tactics used make me doubt anything they have to say, and I would NOT recommend this to anyone, in it's current state at least, so my advice is stay with mbam, you know where you stand there without any doubts, and if you ever need to scan at boot due to an infection(s), give Stinger a try first, and go from there if it didn't help enough, hope this helps.

It certainly does. I was under a false impression although I did catch the part that said to be sed by professionals.

Man, you can type.

Thanks again for a cler explanation.

I will read about Stinger.

Peter

 

PS >>Stinger is not a supported application. McAfee Labs makes no guarantees about this product.>

 

I read about it and is useful for certain people but I will pass. Thank you for the idea, however.

 

Defender's low rating still is bothersome but I think the programs I have combined with safe habits will keep me safe.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI