Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

program to supplement defender

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:02 PM

I just imaged back to a fresh install and all is well except MBAM has changed. I read Rich's comment's about it. If i want to keep Windows security-defender and firewall, is the a half way decent program ht will replace MBAM for malware? 

MBAM  won't let me install the free version unless I pay. I tried several sources.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 December 2019 - 08:31 PM

The free version is free, there is no cost involved. You get a 14 day trial. When that expires, if you refuse the upgrade it reverts to the free version. You just have to ignore the Upgrade now nags.

This is a real quandary as I don't want to give up either Defender or MBAM. So far I'm staying with MBAM Premium and enabled Defender to do periodic scans. Will see how that works out.

Edited by Ztruker, 21 December 2019 - 08:32 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:39 AM

The free MBAM, after an image recovery which did not have it, would not install after many attempts and sources. I did not note the error message :(                     I have noticed controlled folder access, being on, causes many rejections, but not in this case.

I would prefer Defender to MBAM for comprehensive coverage but do understand your situation having paid for MBAM.

There is a portable Emisoft Emergency Kit which you can scan for a second opinion.

I had to image again to a point where I had MBAM [the older one]. Things seem to be OK for now.

It is very confusing to hear when you install MBAM it disables Defender?  It was so functional before but greed has raised its head again.

Right now I am confused so will sit tight till I learn more. 

Edited by Peter1, 22 December 2019 - 07:54 AM.

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

If installing Malwarebytes Premium disables Windows Defender or your 3rd party antivirus software, you'll need to change a setting in Malwarebytes. Follow these steps: Open Malwarebytes, and click Settings. In the Application tab, scroll down to Windows Action Center section.

​Rich - does this help?  Which real time protection does it disable?

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

It disables Defender real time stuff, all of it.

Just found this:

You indicate the pc has Malwarebytes Version 4.   The choice as to whether to register with Windows Action Center  ( Security Center ) is either OFF or ON.

Since it appears this is on a Windows 10 system, it has Windows Defender.   There is no need to register Malwarebytes into the Windows Security Center.

Set that to OFF.

Start Malwarebytes > click the settings icon at top > click on the tab Security > Scroll down to Windows Security Center. Set the slider to the left.  It will show white color  ( OFF condition).

This setting does not diminish any protections in Malwarebytes.   And the Windows Defender will still be the resident antivirus.

So I will set it to Off and see if that does indeed leave Defender as the active Anti-virus and if so, I will be happy and all will be right with the world for this once brief second.

Rich

#6 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:32 AM

So each program will now function as each should. Defender is a/v and MBAM is anti malware.

Can I assume the one real time protection is handled by Defender as it would be without MBAM? I believe only one real time protection can run at once.

This sounds great and am happy you got it sorted out. 

Edited by Peter1, 23 December 2019 - 08:35 AM.

• pfbkdioc likes this

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:09 PM

They are both running full bore doing their thing as far as I can tell. No interference that I can tell.

Malwarebytes:

see.MBAM.jpg

Defender:

Defender.jpg

Rich

#8 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

I was taught not to run two real time protections together. Did you ever hear of that or am I in error?

Glad you are chugging along.  Maybe they were made to cooperate.

When I hear back from Emisoft about the kit and rootkits I will create the flash drive for portable backup scanning - if they cover rootkits.

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 12:17 PM

I was told the same Peter. I don't know what it is about MBAM and Windows Security (Defender) but they seem to get along very well. No slow downs, no interference that I can tell so I'll leave it this way unless problems arise or words of wisdom from folks more knowledgeable than I say otherwise.

Merry Christmas to you and your family my friend.

I have 8 Christmas albums on my web site if your interested :lol:

Rich

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 12:26 PM

I  am so glad to hear your protection issue is resolved for the good.

I found the EEK I said I will build does cover rootkits so I will do so after Christmas.

My wife and I will add to  songs from your web site and thank you so much for the generosity.

Blessed Christmas to you and your family.

Your friend

Peter