I just imaged back to a fresh install and all is well except MBAM has changed. I read Rich's comment's about it. If i want to keep Windows security-defender and firewall, is the a half way decent program ht will replace MBAM for malware?
MBAM won't let me install the free version unless I pay. I tried several sources.
The free version is free, there is no cost involved. You get a 14 day trial. When that expires, if you refuse the upgrade it reverts to the free version. You just have to ignore the Upgrade now nags.
This is a real quandary as I don't want to give up either Defender or MBAM. So far I'm staying with MBAM Premium and enabled Defender to do periodic scans. Will see how that works out.
The free MBAM, after an image recovery which did not have it, would not install after many attempts and sources. I did not note the error message I have noticed controlled folder access, being on, causes many rejections, but not in this case.
I would prefer Defender to MBAM for comprehensive coverage but do understand your situation having paid for MBAM.
There is a portable Emisoft Emergency Kit which you can scan for a second opinion.
I had to image again to a point where I had MBAM [the older one]. Things seem to be OK for now.
It is very confusing to hear when you install MBAM it disables Defender? It was so functional before but greed has raised its head again.
Right now I am confused so will sit tight till I learn more.
If installing Malwarebytes Premium disables Windows Defender or your 3rd party antivirus software, you'll need to change a setting in Malwarebytes. Follow these steps: Open Malwarebytes, and click Settings. In the Application tab, scroll down to Windows Action Center section.
Rich - does this help? Which real time protection does it disable?
You indicate the pc has Malwarebytes Version 4. The choice as to whether to register with Windows Action Center ( Security Center ) is either OFF or ON.
Since it appears this is on a Windows 10 system, it has Windows Defender. There is no need to register Malwarebytes into the Windows Security Center.
Set that to OFF.
Start Malwarebytes > click the settings icon at top > click on the tab Security > Scroll down to Windows Security Center. Set the slider to the left. It will show white color ( OFF condition).
This setting does not diminish any protections in Malwarebytes. And the Windows Defender will still be the resident antivirus.
So I will set it to Off and see if that does indeed leave Defender as the active Anti-virus and if so, I will be happy and all will be right with the world for this once brief second.
I was told the same Peter. I don't know what it is about MBAM and Windows Security (Defender) but they seem to get along very well. No slow downs, no interference that I can tell so I'll leave it this way unless problems arise or words of wisdom from folks more knowledgeable than I say otherwise.
Merry Christmas to you and your family my friend.
I have 8 Christmas albums on my web site if your interested